Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Richard and Barbara had two children.
    Elinor M, birth registered September quarter 1911 Chelsea registration district.
    It seems as if she may never have married because there is a death registration for an Elinor Mary Powell, birth date 19 August 1911, in March quarter 1997.

John Henry Courthope's birth was registered June quarter 1913, Chelsea registration district.
    He married Helen Clare Spencer Nairn (possibly Spencer-Nairn) in Leslie (Fife) district in 1939.
    The Commonwealth Graves War Commission site says his wife was 'of Edinburgh', presumably that was her address at the time of John's death.

Scottish records can be found at scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    I couldn't see a way to find births using a maiden name on that site, but you could try narrowing it down to Fife or Edinburgh districts.

Alternatively, search the British Newspaper Archive for an obituary notice to see if any children are named. The BNA is an-going project, so if there's no success now then keep trying. You could also check for any birth announcements. Also try The Times Digital Archive which is not part of the BNA but which may be available for free at your local library.

If you do find John and Helen had any children, then it's a case of searching for possible marriages for them. Unfortunately they will probably still be living so it will not be possible to post their details on the forum.

If you do find any children, perhaps a letter to either one of the Scottish dailies or an Edinburgh paper might yield results.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Then it would be useful to look into the son and daughter and their families, if any.

CWGC gives the following info:

68370 Major JHC Powell, age 32, A Sqn 2nd Fife & Forfar Yeomanry AND Royal Armoured Corps, son of RHP and BFP, husband of Helen Clare Powell of Edinburgh. died 19 Jul 1944.

Note that if his widow was living in Edinburgh, you may need the records on Scotlands People.

I'm sure that one of the TV antiques programmes featured a theatrical archive (scripts, biographies, etc) in London, but can't remember what or where... Might even have been Who Do You Think You Are...

PS I've found the announcement of JHCP's engagement in 1938. His mother has 2 addresses, 17 Tite St, London, and Aberdona House, Clackmannan. Helen's maiden name was Spencer-Nairn of Leslie House, Fife, and Struy Lodge, Inverness.

The wedding (1939) got a whole page and 2 columns in the Fife Herald. 9 bridesmaids, one of whom may have been his sister Elinor Powell, 17, of 17 Tite street. The bride has a LOT of relatives (all presents and donors are listed), but there's not many Powells plus a few Courthorpes. If anyone has an interest in the households of the monied, it's interesting reading - they got quite a few silver tea pots and at least 4 early morning teasets....

Helen's surname was Spencer-Nairn.

I searched the BNA on Findmypast using the name John Powell with Courthope as a keyword.
    Found an announcement of the engagement in 1938, plus a list of the wedding gifts in 1939.
    In fact there's several reports of the engagement and various ones of the wedding.
    At least two reports of John's death saying that a second daughter was born three weeks before his death.
    So search for birth announcements using Powell and Spencer-Nairn.

Pam

Here's what I've found so far:

(from weddings announcement in the Bystander 19 April 1939):
    John Henry Courthope Powell (son of Richard Henry) married Helen Claire Spencer-Nairn. John was the son of the late R.H. Powell, and Mrs Powell of 17 Tite St, S.W.3.

(from obituary in Dundee Courier 31 July 1944):
    'Major John Henry Courthope Powell, who has been killed in Normandy, is a son-in-law of Major Sir Robert and Lady Spencer-Nairn, of Leslie House, Fife. Only son of the late Mr Richard Henry Powell and of Mrs Powell, 17 Tite St, London, and Sprivers Horsmonden, Kent, he married Clare, second daughter of Sir Robert and Lady Spencer-Nairn... A second daughter was born to them only three weeks ago.'

(from obituary in Kent and Sussex Courier 4 August 1944)
    Major John Henry Courthope Powell ... was educated at Wellington House, Westgate-on-sea, at Eton... He married in 1939 Clare ... and there are two daughters ELIZABETH, aged two, and ANN, who was born last month.

His obituary mentions 2 daughters - Elizabeth and Ann. Since these ladies are likely to be alive, I cannot post any more information about them on the open forum.

Have a look for his will. You may also easily find announcements of the marriages of the daughters - Helen's from a titled family.

I've found the name of the person who married Elizabeth Clare Powell (daughter of JHCP and HCSN).
    I shan't publish names as people may still be alive.

There's a lot of crossing posts here!
    Since you're new to the Forum and may not have read our T&C, I'll just point out that we do not allow details of (potentially) living people to be published on the open Forum. If you registered with a valid email address, info could be shared via the Personal Messaging system.

Hi Pam, thanks for your information on Elinor Mary Powell (1911-1997). I believe this is the daughter of Richard Henry Powell and Barbara Frances / and sister of John Henry Courthope Powell. I was wondering if you could help me find the birth and death details for her mother, Barbara Frances. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Death registration for a Barbara Frances Powell, which I believe is her - March quarter 1972, Tonbridge registration district. GRO Index gives date of birth as 23 December 1883.

Confirm the birth registration on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    though as the birthdate is late December the birth might not have been registered until the March quarter 1884.
    Searching https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp should give you the mother's maiden name.

Think there was some money in the family because the Courthope name came up a lot in the newspapers when I was searching for son John so there may well have been an announcement of the birth.

Actual date of death might be found in the Probate Index. Make sure you select the1858-1996 section.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Pam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12