Thread: Houses in Rydal

freddie999

Default Houses in Rydal

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some local information on Rydal. Census records shows that my ancestors lived in the following houses of Rydal: 'Glen Rothay' (there's a hotel with this name, does it form part of the original house or plot?), 'Rydal Lodge', 'Hawthorn Villas', and 'Cote How'. I have done Google searches for these buildings, but no success, and only found the hotel. Does anyone know about these buildings, or where I could find details on them? I am keen to find out anything I can as I will be visiting Rydal this summer. Thanks

Jan1954

Hello Freddie,

It seems that Cote How is now a Guest House and Tea Room. If you go to the following website - cotehow.co.uk/History_of_Rydal.htm (put https://www. in front) - you will see a bit of history about Rydal, with mention of various houses. At the bottom of the page is a link to the Rydal Village Society, which you may also find useful.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999
    Census records shows that my ancestors lived in the following houses of Rydal: 'Glen Rothay' (there's a hotel with this name, does it form part of the original house or plot?), 'Rydal Lodge', 'Hawthorn Villas', and 'Cote How'.
    You might try a couple of things from the comfort of your home.

First have a look at the old-maps web-site for Victprian OS maps of the area, the maps sometimes give house names - Then refer to census returns (you may need to use more than one), working through the whole census for Rydal. Begin with the enumerator's notes, this may simply refer to 'the whole parish of of Rydal' or may describe the route the enumerator followed. Working through the census for the parish you should be able to pick out the way in which he worked around those in his district and be able to work out the relevant position of each property.

For when you actually go up that way, have a look in the record office in Kendal and see if they have a deatiled map of the parish.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello there

Rydal Lodge also seems to be a guest house, on the Rydal road near the church. Not far from Glen Rothay and Cote How.

Doing an address search on 1901 census online there are 2 entries for Hawthorn Villas in Ambleside in 1901 (just up the road from Rydal, but in a different parish) Is this the entry for your relative?
    Doing the same search for 1891 gave one entry for Hawthorn Villas also in Ambleside, but this time with a street name given - Church St. This is in the middle of Ambleside rather than Rydal.
    If you can look up the census information you have you should be able to tell if this Ambleside address is the right one.

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look at A2A there are several references to some of those locations. You may be able to order copies by snail mail from Kendal.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...rch.aspx?tab=1 (specify Cumbria Record Office, Kendal as the repository)