Thread: Ruscoe from NZ

annemcnz

Default Ruscoe from NZ

Hi,
    I have been researching my New Zealand Ruscoe family for many years. Have a little information about the English roots, eg John Ruscoe (baptised on 18/3/1798, parents John & Mary Ruscoe) and his wife Hannah (nee Townsend, born in Sedgley, Staffordshire, approx.1805). John and Hannah lived in Bilston, part of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. I am descended from their son John Ruscoe - born 1832, and he married Harriet Simpson in 1854 in Walsall area (she may be Alice Harriet in records). One son Jospeh
    born in the UK in 1855 in Bilston in Staffordshire, rest of their large family born in New Zealand.
    They came to New Zealand on the ship Oliver Lang in 1856 and settled in the Wanganui region.
    Unfortunately I had no contacts for my Ruscoe family when holidaying in the UK recently, and no leads
    to follow up. Have never been able to locate anyone in the UK researching this particular Ruscoe family. Thoroughly enjoyed the holiday over there, though.
    Anne

Although I can't further your Ruscoe enquiry, Anne, I can just say hello, as four of my great great grandparents also came to New Zealand on that 1856 voyage of the Oliver Lang - the Devenport and the Key families from Birmingham and London.

Did you know there is a good little booklet in print about the Oliver Lang, written by James Ashwell in 2005? It will be available from some libraries - I know he was intending to revise it. The ship's wreckage is still buried at Kaiwharawhara north of Wellington and there are photographs of it in the Alexander Turnbull Library.
    Dale in New Zealand

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Researching Key-Devenport and other families

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    Although I can't further your Ruscoe enquiry, Anne, I can just say hello, as four of my great great grandparents also came to New Zealand on that 1856 voyage of the Oliver Lang - the Devenport and the Key families from Birmingham and London.

Did you know there is a good little booklet in print about the Oliver Lang, written by James Ashwell in 2005? It will be available from some libraries - I know he was intending to revise it. The ship's wreckage is still buried at Kaiwharawhara north of Wellington and there are photographs of it in the Alexander Turnbull Library.
    Dale in New Zealand

Hi,
    I don't know how active this site is and whether I might have messaged you elsewhere. My name is John Clarke. I am a descendant of the Key family from the Oliver Lang in 1856 (I am descended from the son, Thomas). I am also interested in the Devenport family because of cross-connections (and in fact all on the Oliver Lang). Might you be able to contact me please and perhaps we can share information? My email is clarkejl999 {at} gmail.com
    Thank you so much
    John
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 24-01-2022 at 6:46 AM. Reason: Email address deactivated as per our T&C