Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IGI confusion

Loves to help with queries

Default IGI confusion

From details in the censuses my gg/grandmother Alice Barlow was born C1828 in Newton (Newton Heath) near Manchester. The IGI batch No. for All Saints church is C020822 and for the last 10 years I have been trying to find her Baptism in the IGI and the original church records without success , this week I tried the Record Search Pilot and there was a baptism that fits the details I know - Alice Barlow bap. 04/05/1828 . The record shows the batch No as C01180-8 also for All Saints church Newton Heath , can a church have 2 batch numbers ?? I wonder why I couldn't find the record sooner ??

v.wells

From my recollection the IGI is digitizing its records and updating all its' records, so some that didn't appear in the past are now appearing. You could probably order the record from its online ording page, citing the information you found in the Batch file. It is very cheap (at least from here), or you can order the film in from your local LDS centre, if you have one.

Reputation beyond repute

can a church have 2 batch numbers?
    It's the film numbers that are particularly relevant. You can follow those through in the catalogue to see exactly what the source data was

I wonder why I couldn't find the record sooner?
    Because the IGI isn't very good.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    From details in the censuses my gg/grandmother Alice Barlow was born C1828 in Newton (Newton Heath) near Manchester. The IGI batch No. for All Saints church is C020822 and for the last 10 years I have been trying to find her Baptism in the IGI and the original church records without success , this week I tried the Record Search Pilot and there was a baptism that fits the details I know - Alice Barlow bap. 04/05/1828 . I wonder why I couldn't find the record sooner ??
    Probably because the IGI has transcribed her first name as Olive (instead of Alice).

Reputation beyond repute

I don't look at this record pilot thingy very often but aren't you supposed to be able to view images of the registers? I'm blowed if I can see how. Can an expert please explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't look at this record pilot thingy very often but aren't you supposed to be able to view images of the registers? I'm blowed if I can see how. Can an expert please explain?
    I'm not an expert, but I'll try.

Some of the Record Search databases include images, most don't.

For England, the main databases that do have images are browsable only (not searchable). These are accessed from the Browse Collections page. Scroll down to United Kingdom, and look at Durham BTs and Norfolk PRs.

I believe there are no onsite images for the searchable databases. These are transcripts only, with links to images provided by outside commercial sites, such as Ancestry, FMP and BMDregisters, where access obviously has to be paid for unless you subscribe.

I'm happy to stand corrected by those who know better and/or can explain better.

Thanks for all the responses ,I have just checked the records again and found according to the IGI both Alice Barlow and Olive Barlow were baptised on the 04/05/1828. Either this is a transcription error or John and Lydia Barlow baptised 2 children on the same day??
    Looks like I'll have to view the original film records.

Reputation beyond repute

Ah. No images. That explains why I couldn't see them

That means poor ol' Colwyn still has to get the film!

Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    I have just checked the records again and found according to the IGI both Alice Barlow and Olive Barlow were baptised on the 04/05/1828.
    But different parents (John/Lydia, John/Elizabeth) and different churches (Newton, Bury).

What exactly is your starting-point? Do you have the name of Alice's father from her marriage certificate, and a place of birth for her from a census?
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 07-07-2010 at 6:36 PM. Reason: addition

In the census Alice gives her place of birth as Newton (Newton Heath) and her dob would be C1828 and on the marriage cert her fathers name is John Barlow, a weaver. So the new entry seems to fit the details I have . I have previously viewed the church records and could find no entry for Alice Barlow , so this leaves me wondering if the record is for 'Olive' and has been transcribed incorrectly as 'Alice'...... Looks like its back to the original records next time I can get through to M/c. archives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast