cezza

Default Kirkby In Ashfield burial help please

Hi All

I was wondering if anybody has access to the parish registers for St Wilfred's in Kirkby in Ashfield. I am interested in burials for the surname of Wilbourne and variants (Wilbourne/Wilburn/Wilbrum etc) from the late 1500's onwards, it think most of my Wilbourne's had migrated over the border to Derbyshire by the 1800's.

I am struggling to find out where my ancestor Richard Wilbourne is from. He appears in St Mary's Church, Chesterfield in 1632 marrying a Helen Newbold but they baptised their children in St Wilfred, Kirkby in Ashfield between 1635 and 1640. I have found a baptism for a Jane Wilbourne, daur of Richard, 09 May 1629, no mother given on the IGI (actual entry not a patron submitted one). So I am wondering if Helen was Richards 2nd wife and Jane was from his first marriage. If I can find a burial for a female Wilbourne between Jane's baptism and Richard's marriage to Helen, it could be a wife of Richards. Then I can search for a marriage and hopefully in the direction of a birth for Richard. Hope you are still following my logic here!

Anyway, I would very much appreciate any Wilbourne burials from St Wilfred's please and also any pointers in the right direction from those of you who are more experienced in genealogy than me!

Thanks in advance

Cezza

cezza

I have now found a marriage between a Richard Wilburne and an Elizabeth Deane of Hucknall, p. Sutton In Ashfield on the 08 Nov 1615 at Kirkby In Ashfield so hopefully their will be a burial for and Elizabeth Wilbourne between 1629 and 1632, fingers crossed! Still no help as to where Richard Wilbourne was born though! Can anyone help?

Lydia1

Hi i dont know if this will help you, it is the cemeterys in the Kirkby in Ashfield district
    https://www.ashfield-dc.gov.uk/ashfie...ro.php?set=yes

Famous for offering help & advice

I haven`t been to the archives for a while but have added you to my `to do list` - will have a look at K-in-Ash & see if I can read any of it! You may be in for a bit of a wait I`m afraid till I get there...

Mitch

Famous for offering help & advice

Right,

I had a look at the registers from 1635 - but will have to go back again as they are awful

But from 1653 to 1690 inclusive we have:

Ellen the wife of Richard WILLBOURNE was buried the 12 of December 1655

Anne WILBOURNE was buried May 5th 1658

Franciscus Filius Johannes WILBORN et Elisabeth uxoris baptizatatus fuit essptemb?? 13 1663 (this appears between 2nd July & 9th Oct and is presumably September - sorry I`ve never read any Latin before!)

Adam WILBURN 1668 was Church Warden (but wasn`t in 1669)

Thomas filius Johannis WILBOURN et Elizabeth uxoris supultus fuit, Jul 1st 1671

Adam WILBURN Supultus fuit Jun 5th 1673

Maria filia Johanns MILBORN (sic) et Elizabeth uxor baptiszala fuit Sept 20 1673

Johannes filius Johannis WILBURN et Elisabethel uxoris baptizatus fuit Nov 27 1676.

I was looking to pick out burials but noted the basptismas if I spotted them - saw no marriages. Some of the pages were faded/ poorly written etc.

Hope this of some use as a starter!

Mitch

cezza

Thank you very much for taking the time to do these look ups for me, i really appreciate it. I had been told that an Elizabeth Wilbourne was buried in 1631 but the registers were pretty bad!! Thanks again for your help

Ceri
    x

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi ya if you havnt found the info your lookin for i can always check the cemetery for you as i live like 5 min away from the cemetery , i know in the church yard it selfs there isnt many readable head stone but there is some. and the extenion part of st wilfrids church cemetery thes quit alot of graves with only pots on but i wouldnt mind having a look for you .