freddie999

Default Westmoreland-burial records

I have discovered that my grand father was born in Rydal, grew up, and became an apprentice to his father (stone mason); he was married in 'the parish church- Rydal' after which he moved to his wife's home town Lincoln. He was Alfred Jenkinson. His parents, both lived and died in Rydal, and in a house named Cote How.

This summer I will be taking a camping holiday in 'the Lakes', the plan is for me to be dropped off in Rydal, so I can soak up the atmosphere of the village, and hopefully I may find a few clues to my ancestors.

I planned to spend a day in Rydal. and hoped the church graveyard would give me some clues. I have recently discovered that Rydal parish church doesn't have a graveyard,so that plan is in the bin!!! Surely they must be buried close by? The parish records and National Burial Index databases available on the internet seem to have the county of Westmoreland missing. Can anyone please point me to where I should look for these burial records ? Thanks

Jan1954

Hello Freddie,

Have a look at the Grasmere entry on GENUKI. It seems that Rydal was part of that parish. If so, the burial records could well be at the Kendal Record Office.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hope all your soaking up is the sun & FH.....

try cumbriafhs.com website

Famous for offering help & advice

This may be of help.

www.
    southlakeland.gov.uk/services/community/cemeteries/cemetery-details/grasmere-ce

www.
    visitcumbria.com/amb/cha1.htm