liesl

Default Edward Skinner, Architect - COLOMBO

HI all,

I am trying to find info on Edward Skinner born 1869 in Inverurie, Scotland and trained as an architect. He studied in England and then moved to Colombo in about 1893 where he was an architect for the public works dept. He eventually founded his own business and was well known.

I know that he designed the Victoria Eye Hospital and part of the Galle Face Hotel. He also adapted plans for the Masonic Temple which were originally drawn up in England. I have info on his work through the RIBA but am looking for more about him in particular.

I believe he passed away in 1911, I don't know where through.

Can anyone help me trace this ancestor in Colombo?

Grateful for any help

Liesl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have recently created a page on Wikipedia about Edward Skinner. He died on 26 December 1910, tragically committing suicide in his office - only to be found by his wife later that day. I haven't been able to find any details about his wife and whether they had any children.
    He was responsible for designing a number of landmark buildings in Colombo, most of which are still standing today.

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

His death notice appeared in the Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser 3 Jan 1911, but only mentioned his father James Skinner.

In 1891 I think he's with his brother John at Wolseley Road, Hornsey - his occupation is Architectural Assistant, age 22, born Scotland, unmarried. (census ref RG12 1062 70 25).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

From the Cornishman - Thursday 29 March 1917
    Deaths
    On the 26 March 1917 at "Medrose Cottage" Penzance Cornwall, England, Olive Minna Skinner, widow of Edward Skinner F.R.I.B.A of Colombo Ceylon and Inverurie, Scotland and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Martin of "Medrose Cottage" Penzance, age 33(35?). Funeral at 3pm Friday 30th March 1917, Friends kindly accept this (the only intimation).- Ceylon, Scotch and Cambridge papers please copy.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

UK wills and probate

SKINNER Olive Minna of Medrose Cottage Penzance, Widow, died 26 March 1917, Probate Bodman 2 August to Minna Martin [wife of Alfred Martin] Effects £5819 10s

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

A fountain of knowledge

His obit doesnt mention kids, only that he had married recently and that he had a serious cycle accident a few months earlier which he was slow to recover from.

Publication:Aberdeen Journal

1901 census RG13 Piece 2253 Folio 127 Page 30
    Medrose Cottage Penzance
    Alfred Martin 55 retired Merchant, Interpreter and lecturer own account. Penzance Cornwall
    Minna Martin 51 wife Penzance
    Aileen Winifred Martin 23 India Singapore
    Olive Minna Martin 19 Penzance
    Gladys Dorothy Martin 17 Penzance
    Edith Mortlock 44 Domestic Servant Clare Suffolk.

Arthur and Minna are own their own with one servant in 1911. Arthur is on town council business, a public writer and speaker, all unpaid!
    Gladys has married a Rowland Glave Saunders.

In 1881 Olive and Gladys ages 9 and 7 are at 38 Chapel St, Penzance. a school by the title W C College.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Is there any records of when Edward and Olive married and where?

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    From the Cornishman - Thursday 29 March 1917
    Deaths
    On the 26 March 1917 at "Medrose Cottage" Penzance Cornwall, England, Olive Minna Skinner, widow of Edward Skinner F.R.I.B.A of Colombo Ceylon and Inverurie, Scotland and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Martin of "Medrose Cottage" Penzance, age 33(35?). Funeral at 3pm Friday 30th March 1917, Friends kindly accept this (the only intimation).- Ceylon, Scotch and Cambridge papers please copy.

Christina

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

If Olive was 9 year old in 1881, that would mean she was born c.1872. However according to her Obit she was 33 or 35 when she died in 1917, which would mean she was born in 1884 or 1882... anyway of getting a better idea of her actual birth date.

Ok, my apologies I had Olive and Gladys at school in 1881 - that should have been the 1891 census. Her birth registration on the GRO index gives her birth registration as March 1/4 1882 registration district Penzance vol 5c page 274 mother's maiden name Glasson.
    Christina
    William Burroughs