Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    padua

Default Samuel Marrall - Royal Horse Artillery

Would anyone be able to help with information regards our grandfather Samuel Merrill (Could be Marrall )Samuel with the Royal Horse Artillery, with which he served in Sudan & Afghanistan, from 1879 to 1884. He was born in Warsop 1855 - I have received email from a Richard Myers but have been unsuccessful in re contacting him Married a Emma Thornton Any thing at all would be wonderful what uniform would he had worn medals etc

so far away and so little time

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello padua,

To attract more attention from forum members, I have moved your post to a thread of its own, rather than leaving it as a reply on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Before going any further I thought it best to clarify the spelling of Samuel's last name. Both his birth and marriage registrations show him as Samuel Marrall
    In creating the new thread for padua, I provided the title. I'll change the spelling of his name on the thread title to the documented spelling.

I've looked on the 1881 census and found Clara Fanny Spencer, age 27, a married boarder, living in Sheffield, along with her son Samuel , 18 months old. (RG11 / Piece 4642 / Folio 71 / Page 18) census Crown copyright in care of TNA These two persons match the 1891 census, but then there should also be a daughter Amelia Spencer, who is listed on the 1891 as age 13.

In the preceding household is a 39 year old Edward Ibbotson with his family. This matches the surname of Samuel Marrall's mother in law on the 1891 census (84 year old widowed Charlotte Ibbotson).

I wonder if Charlotte Ibbotson is Samuel Marrall's step-mother?

Well, it's not getting any clearer. 4 year old Amelia Spencer is found on the 1881 census at (RG11 / Piece 4642 / Folio 39 / Page 31), a niece to Thomas Smith & wife Emma. Also in the household is Mary Ibbotson, 68 year old widowed mother-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Well, it's not getting any clearer. 4 year old Amelia Spencer is found on the 1881 census at (RG11 / Piece 4642 / Folio 39 / Page 31), a niece to Thomas Smith & wife Emma. Also in the household is Mary Ibbotson, 68 year old widowed mother-in-law.
    So I'm going to deduce that Amelia Spencer's mother Clara Fanny is a sister to Thomas Smith, as I've found this marriage registration index grouping:

Marriages
    Mar quarter 1872

George Ginnever
    Lucy Higginbotham
    Clara Fanny Smith
    Frederick Spencer

Annie Wait

Registration District: Sheffield
    volume 9c
    page 370

which of course doesn't clarify anything. Off I go to start putting together this human jigsaw puzzle.

It sounds daft but could it have been him using the name Samuel Lucas in 1881?
    I spotted that too, and was hoping that he is a red herring, but you never know. Anything's possible at this point.

Padua,
    After reviewing this thread and your original query, the question for me at this point, while we rummage around with census records is: do you have the 1898 marriage certificate of Samuel Marrall & Emma Thornton? and also, is it just his military records you are looking for or his ancestry as well?

Samuel is enumerated as born Sheffield but there was no other birth registered around 1855 for that name. It depends really on who provided the information but I'm sure it's him.
    I'm finally getting up to speed on this thread:

Birth Registration
    Name: Samuel Marrall
    Year: 1855
    Quarter: Mar
    District: Worksop
    Vol 7b Page 27

matches place of birth on 1901 census.

So the birth registration & marriage registration should answer any questions. I'll wait for padua to come back. Perhaps all padua needs is the military information.

padua

i am finding it hard to comprehend that you have all made such a wonderful effort to find Samuel for me. I am so grateful.
    My husband's father William, was the son of Clara Fanny Spencer (nee Smith) and Samuel Marrall - William was registered as MERRIL- we now have two 'L's Getting more upmarket Clara and Samuel never married (well i have never found data) as Clara Fanny (nee Smith) was married to Frederick Spencer - Clara has obviously left Frederick and she had another child Albert , and then Evelyn and Willilam (our family)
    Albert and Evelyn are shown as Spencer, but i only have records for William as Merril (birth Cert) Clara Fanny mother Charlotte Ibbotson ?
    Clara died in 1897, and Samuel married Emma Thornton, a widow with children and then with more with Samuel - I found this in the 1881 census
    1881- Soldier - Samuel Maller
    95th Regiment South Camp Aldershot, which I believe to be Samuel. is mother Hannan born in Worksop- no father listed.
    It was Samuel war record that I would love to have-, as the contact I had told me he had his medals etc. This Richard Myers is a grandson of Samuel Marrell - the son of Sam and Emma Thornton. But you have surpseed everything with this information. I think Charlotte Ibbotson was Clara's mother but had remarried after William SMITH died? and Clara and Sam were a commonlaw couple- ?
    Better end this as becoming 'war and peace' many thanks everyone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast