Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    padua

Well everyone - The latest on Samuel Marrall-/Merrill served in M battery 1st Brigade Royal Artillery as Gunner 15790 and then shown as a Shoeing Smith 4898 Afghan Campaign. i believe that Evelyn/Evelin Spencer/Marrell was the daughter of Clara Fanny nee Smith/married Spencer but with Samuel Marrall. They also had William Merrill who was my husbnads father. Have found eveling in the 1911 census but nothing further. Just so wonderful what everyone has found out for us. thanks from the bottom of the world

WOODIFSHECUD

Default Walter Thornton

Hello my name is Diane Wood and my great grandfather is Walter Thornotn, his daughter D.... is my Nan, I have just started to research my mums family tree and came across your post. I would love to get in touch to discuss our links

Thanks Diane
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 26-05-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: masked name of possibly living person - please read our Terms of Service

Richard1955

So this might be the Samuel you just mentioned:
    Name: MARRALL, Samuel
    Sheffield. Yorkshire
    1924 Jun qtr.
    Spouse's name: Gledhill Emily
    Volume No: 9C. Page No: 1196
    Last edited by Richard1955; 26-05-2011 at 1:27 PM. Reason: Copyright TNA

padua

Thank you Richard - this looks like the Samuel born 1900
    All the information I have received from this forum has been wonderful- My husband Reg whose family tree this is in now in a rest home, and my life is in anguish after over 50years together
    Look to tell him the latest in the search
    many thanks to all participants

WOODIFSHECUD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    So this might be the Samuel you just mentioned:
    Name: MARRALL, Samuel
    Sheffield. Yorkshire
    1924 Jun qtr.
    Spouse's name: Gledhill Emily
    Volume No: 9C. Page No: 1196
    Hello Richard

Would it be possible to contact you to discuss the Thornton side of the family?

Thanks Diane

Settling in

Hi there - I may be able to help with this! I'm new to this forum and read this post with interest. Samuel was my great grandfather. I live in Sheffield and hope someone (a distant relative maybe) would be interested in contacting me. Thanks, Kath

Settling in

Hi Padua - I think we are related. I hope you are still researching Sam. He was my great grandfather. I have his marriage certificate and other information. I live in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Would love to hear from you. Kath

Settling in

Default Samuel Marrall

I've just been re-reading this thread with interest. I think I can clarify something which is confusing everyone. My late mother (Joyce Marrall) used to talk to me about her great aunt Clara who was her grandfathers(Sam Marrall) sister. If you look at the 1891 census this makes sense. Clara is a widow living with her brother and her mother in law is living with them too. When Sam married Emma Thornton in 1898 he was a batchelor and she was a widow (I have this certificate). What is confusing me is that he states his father as Willliam Marrall on this marriage cert but his birth certificate shows no father - only his mother Hannah. I do hope someone is still researching this family.

WOODIFSHECUD

Default Samuel Marrell

Quote Originally Posted by Kath4747 View Post
    I've just been re-reading this thread with interest. I think I can clarify something which is confusing everyone. My late mother (Joyce Marrall) used to talk to me about her great aunt Clara who was her grandfathers(Sam Marrall) sister. If you look at the 1891 census this makes sense. Clara is a widow living with her brother and her mother in law is living with them too. When Sam married Emma Thornton in 1898 he was a batchelor and she was a widow (I have this certificate). What is confusing me is that he states his father as Willliam Marrall on this marriage cert but his birth certificate shows no father - only his mother Hannah. I do hope someone is still researching this family.
    Hello Kath

Emma Thornton is my great great grandma, her great grand daughter is still alive and I have been in contact with her, she was a Thornton before she married. My nan was a Thornton and Emma was her nan! sounds confusing I know. I live in Sheffield and I am researching the family tree for my mums 70th birthday next year, my great grandad was walter thornton he wasemmas son and lived with her when she married samual marrell.

Diane

padua

Samuel Marrell had a relationship with Clara Fanny (nee Smith) who had married Frederick Spencer but left him) and with Samuel produced William and Evelyn. Clara Fanny died and Samuel married Emma Thornton - she had Children from her previous marriage and then Sam and Emma had more children together. Samuel was the son of Hannan Marrall (Merrill) but I have not found a sister called Clara- but Hannan Could have gone on to marry and produce another Clara- but is not the Clara Fanny living with Samuel and mother-in-law Charlotte Ibbotson - Clara Fanny died before Samuel married Emma Thornton.
    I have found this family tree of great interest - I have never found any information regarding Evelyn other than the census - no certificates
    thanks everyone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast