Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    padua

Perhaps the enumerator also had difficulty with accents etc and just put what ever they thought. Clara Fanny made her mark on Williams birth certificate but note that she was Clara Merril formerly Smith 10 Court 2 Hallam Lane Sheffield.
    Clara died in Sheffield Workhouse. as did Samuel 11 August 1904. The contact in the UK that email me was RICHARD MYERS. He is a g.grandson of Emma and Samuel, being from Samuel Jnr. I have tried to recontact this line, but no joy I believe Samuel Maller to be one and the same this is the message I received from Richard Myers -Samuel and Emma had 1 other child together, another Samuel, my grandfather, he also served in northern france. I have all the medals + Samuels own from his time with the Royal Horse Artillery, with which he served in Sudan & Afghanistan, from 1879 to 1884.I have one photo of him from the time in uniform. You can see why I would be so anxious to re connect with Richard. regards Padua
    Last edited by AdeleE; 24-06-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: removed email address for Richard Myers

SueNSW

Unfortunately another reason for suggesting the man you have in the 1881 census in Aldershot is NOT your man - is he is recorded as being part of the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment - which is of course not the Royal Horse Artillery

Also your correspondent seems to suggest Samuel (snr) was serving in the RHA in Sudan and Afghanistan between 1879 and 1884 when the census did not extend to the overseas military

Presumably his son Samuel was the one who saw service in "northern France" during WW1

Sorry this doesn't help you further your information though

Cheers
    Sue

padua

Default Email received Samuel Marrall from g.grandson

Samuel Marrall & Emma Thronton (my great grandparents). Emma had 4 children by a previous marriage (Harry, Harold, William & Walter). Harry & Harold were killed in WW1, William & Walter made it home but only just. They had 1 other child together, another Samuel, my grandfather, he also served in northern france. I have all the medals of the 5 children plus Samuels own from his time with the Royal Horse Artillery, with which he served in Sudan & Afghanistan, from 1879 to 1884.i have one photo of him from the time in uniform. Hope that is of interest, regards, Richard
    Thanks Sue- but this email from Richard seems to confirm the Royal Horse Artillery- as the younger Samuel was born in 1899. 95th Derbyshire regiment was disestablished in 1881 so Samuel could have been seconded ? Both Derby and Notts are the next counties to West Riding Yorks.

SueNSW

The Childers Reforms in 1881 saw the 95th (Derbyshire) amalgamate with the 45th (Nottinghamshire) to become The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) - The Derbyshires became the 2nd Battalion of the newly formed Regiment

The email you have says your Samuel (senior) was in RHA in Sudan and Afghanistan from 1879 - 1884 so they cannot be the same man

Researching the RHA is very difficult unless you can establish which Brigade and then which Battery your man was with. There are medal rolls at the NA at Kew where his details should be listed (see this link for a look at what they look like in general https://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/re...wo100roll.html ) - but they are not online so you'd need a researcher to look them up for you - I think they are likely to be in WO100/54 - but my expertise is more WW1 than this earlier period

There is a forum dedicated to the Victorian Wars - https://www.victorianwars.com/

You might find an expert on there that could tell you if the rolls have ever been published or transcribed for the medals you are looking for (I'm guessing probably Afghanistan Medal 1878 - 80, possibly Kabul to Kandahar Star 1880 and probably Egypt and Sudan Medal 1882 - 1889)

Hope you track the details down

Cheers
    Sue

padua

Default Hoping my previous contact is looking:)

I am searching for further information for my husband's grand father Samuel Marrall & Emma Thornton's grand children. Reg is now 80 and has been in hospital for the last 3 months hence I have been neglectful in continuing this thread- It has been so helpful. Samuel's son William (Reg's father) spelt his name Merrill- and Samuel's mother was Hannah Merrill from Worksop but the name has jumped around with a variety of spellings.
    I am hoping that Richard who contacted me reads this and gets back in touch. fingers crossed. His email was very informative but have had no further replies to my emails

I have most of the written info, but it is the 'meat' that I am particularly interested in researching- medals and war record etc how kind everyone has been to us down here in middle earth - NZ

padua

had some success with Samuel :0 this is from a researcher - Kevin

It actually looks as though your man went by the name of Murrell.. he appears on the roll of E Battery of 4th Bde. RA in the Afghan war as a shoeing smith #4898. He is then transferred to N battery of 1st Brigade as #9081. The Afghan medal was a no-bar one. The RA underwent changes in 1883 that saw men re-numbered.
    Murrell then appears on the Sudan campaign roll of 1884 as part of M Battery 1st Brigade RA as a gunner #15790, the bar on that medal is 'Tamaai'.
    Whilst still with M/1st he is discharged as a shoeing smith on the 5th of August 1884 at Woolwich having finished his first period of engagement.

Anything further would be great- would like to get minatures of the medals etc- intersting occupation as Shoeing smith - presume that is a farrier/blacksmith. Samuel had worked as a bwerey worker and we have information he was fond of horse. :0
    Summer is coming down here at last - thanks for everyones help

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by padua
    The Afghan medal was a no-bar one.
    Slightly confused by this. Does your researcher mean he was awarded the medal with no clasps? - Quite possible.

If he means that there were no clasps for the Afghan medal, this is incorrect. My understanding is that 6 clasps were available for the medal - although clasps were not available for all actions in the war.

padua

not sure but hope to have this clarified. Samuel details to date -are as above- Would love to have an idea about the medals he would have received and/or the uniform etc
    so little time and so far away )

thanks for all your wonderful help Sue I didn't hear back from across the ditch - thought you may have been able to send pics. my email paduag(at)hotmail.com might work

SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by padua View Post
    Would love to have an idea about the medals he would have received

thanks for all your wonderful help Sue I didn't hear back from across the ditch - thought you may have been able to send pics. my email paduag(at)hotmail.com might work
    Sorry not sure what pics you were expecting from me??

If you want to see information about the medals - this is a useful site -

https://www (dot) northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_index.htm

The original rolls for these medals (and others) have just been addded to Ancestry Worldwide - but at this moment there seems to be a problem accessing the original images - hope they can get it fixed

Cheers
    Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by padua
    Would love to have an idea about the medals he would have received and/or the uniform etc
    so little time and so far away
    I understand that the medal rolls held by TNA in class WO100 are now available on the pay-per-view site 'Ancestry'

For general information about the Second Afghan War (and medals awarded) have a look at the web-site - garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/

For Artillery uniforms try
    britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyuniforms/britishartillerymenu.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast