Sheleen

Red face Southton IS Southampton! lol

I have just spent literally hours trying to discover where Southton is .. or was. Then I came across a little passage on a page that noted:
    Southampton was often referred to in older census as Southamptonshire or Southton.
    Why is this kind of information never in the first place I look? lol
    I had that niggling feeling that Southton was Southampton... but didn't think it would be that simple. Now I have to find out where Windson or Winson is or was...

I think I've just had my 'good searches' and now I'm going to start hitting brick walls at every turn.
    Never mind... all in the fun isn't it?!
    Sheleen

Bob Skinner

I'm unsure about where Winson or Windson were, but "Winton" was an old name used for Winchester - it is also a small area in Bournemouth.

Regards

Bob Skinner

Reputation beyond repute

"Now I have to find out where Windson or Winson is or was... "

What's the context? There's a Wonston - just north of Winchester.

Sheleen

The Windson/Winson placename is in reference to what I have found in two census reports... One says Winson, the other says Windson. I've seen the original transcripts - but I'm not totally convinced its either. Typical of my family... of all the Elizabeth Hursts there are in Southampton, mine hails from a place thats most difficult to locate. One one census, it associates Winson with Millbrook, Southampton. If that association was correct, then it may make things more difficult - as there is another Elizabeth Hurst born the same (or one off) year (1855) from my relative...
    Can anyone direct me to a good website that lists parishes in Southampton circa 1860... maybe I can find something similar that will make sense?
    Actually...I'm not complaining about mistakes on census returns, or the trials we all go through looking for one particular relative - it makes my day whizz by when I've got my teeth (and mind) sunk into a little mystery like this

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Have you tried looking at the Southern Life site (used to be Hampshire Life)?

Mary.

Reputation beyond repute

"Can anyone direct me to a good website that lists parishes in Southampton circa 1860"
    https://www.southampton.gov.uk/leisur...-registers.asp

Sheleen

Thank you all so very much!
    I think I may have found what I'm looking for...Winkton. But I've spent the last few hours browsing the websites you kindly showed me to and reading up on the history of many places in and around Hampshire, not just looking for my 'Windson'

FredP

Default Windson/Winson

Hi Sheleen,

Two more places you might care to consider -

WIMPSON is part of MILLBROOK Parish

WINSON is part of NEWCHURCH Parish, Isle of Wight

I got these from White's 1859 Directory.

FredP
    Last edited by FredP; 23-05-2005 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Incorrect name

Sheleen

Wimpson I know quite well... Wimpson Lane is a road in Millbrook
    Now...Winson sounds like a promising lead.
    Thank you!