littlemisskim

Smile Certs v parish records - always the same?

Hi I'm looking for help with my GG grandfather Henry James Cross, born about 1865 in Inskip, Lancashire.

On 14 Feb 1885 at St Michael, Weeton, Lancashire, (Valentines Day, aww how sweet!) he marries Jane Fishwick. Parish records state "[Groom's Father's details not recorded]".

Was this an error of the registrar? Or is it likely that he didn't know his father's name, and therefore the marriage certificate will be the same?

I'm very very poor, so I don't particularly want to buy a certificate where I already know everything. Sorry to be a pain but what do you think?!

MarkJ

Could be any number of reasons. The priest forgot to record them, groom didn't give them, groom didn't know fathers name (perhaps he died when groom was a baby?), groom was illegitimate, groom and father had fallen out....

Do you have any details about the grooms parents already? That may help to solve the mystery (although it may not!)

SBSFamilyhistory

I have just found him on the 1881 and 1871 census

in 1881 he was a farm servant in 1871 he was a border, the only difference is they both say 1866 for bith year, but not that far out.

Both show Inskip as the place of birth, so I think it is more than likely him.

RG number: RG10 Piece: 4226 Folio: 19 Page: 17

RG number: RG11 Piece: 4258 Folio: 24 Page: 27

Sue

littlemisskim

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Could be any number of reasons. The priest forgot to record them, groom didn't give them, groom didn't know fathers name (perhaps he died when groom was a baby?), groom was illegitimate, groom and father had fallen out....

Do you have any details about the grooms parents already? That may help to solve the mystery (although it may not!)
    No not at all!

In the 1871 census, aged 5, he is living as a boarder with a family (possibly mother's family, but not sure)

And in 1881, aged 15, he is living on a farm as a farm servant.

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    Just a thought do you know where he was born?

Sue
    I believe he was born in Inskip as that's what he stated on all the censuses. But I can't find parish records, and birth certificate wise, there is no Henry James Cross, just three Henry Crosses (but I don't know his parents anyway, so I couldn't confirm)

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

EDIT: Wow, you guys ARE good! You'd already found out everything I know, before I finished typing!

louisa maud

I am sure it is him as a boarder in the house of

Peggy Rossall head u/m 63 born Gt Eccleston
    Jennett niece u/m 16 ditto
    Henry Cross boarder aged 5 born Inskip
    living Raikes Road Gt Eccleston
    RG10/4226 Folio19 Page 17.

I would have expected him to have been with his parents only being 5 years old

Louisa Maud

sheilastain

Hi
    It could well be that the people that he is boarding with are not relatives at all but just friendly neighbours. I had one of my family who was living with totally unrelated people after her mother died. I believe that in that case, the father could not look after her as he needed to work and therfore some kind family took her in. The rest of the children were older and stayed with their father. In this case, it is possible that he was born to a single mum who had to go to work to keep herself and her child, very often as a servant, where she would not be able to have the child with her. I'm afraid this doesn't help to find his parents, but just another angle to think about.
    Sheila

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemisskim View Post

I believe he was born in Inskip as that's what he stated on all the censuses. But I can't find parish records, and birth certificate wise, there is no Henry James Cross, just three Henry Crosses (but I don't know his parents anyway, so I couldn't confirm)
    Lancashire Record Office hold the parish registers for Inskip, St Peter (St Michael’s on Wyre); Diocese of Blackburn, from 1848 onwards for baptisms, 1850+ for marriages, and 1849+ for burials.
    If you click on 'search our records' there are links to all the church registers they hold, including RC and non-confirmists.

Alternatively, if you ask for 'Inskip parish registers' as an exact phrase in a search engine you may get a link to someone who does look-ups.
    Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

I looked up Cross and Inskip on the 1871 census..... There are alot of them! Perhaps he was just boarding with this family so he could go to school . Alot seemed to be farmers and maybe lived too far out in the country.

Sue

Oh my! 1911 finds him in prison in Kent.. a widower...

littlemisskim

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Oh my! 1911 finds him in prison in Kent.. a widower...
    Wow really!? I knew his wife died in 1909, and his younger children went to live with their older sister, but I presumed he did a runner or something!

Please post details if you're allowed, or if not, at least let me know what you can.

Gonna have to arrange a trip to the Family History Centre now!

Famous for offering help & advice

littlemisskin.....

Just sent you a pm with my email address.

Sue