Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chipp'n'Dale

OK. This is a bit of a punt, but as other avenues don't seem to be panning out.... and also knowing (the hard way) how the tricks of older people's memories can sometimes lead us up the garden path.
    The nearest station to Turnham Green (the actual green itself rather than the station of that name) is called Chiswick Park (next station along to the west).
    Diagonally opposite (south east) the station is a huge Sainsburys, built in (I think) the 1980's. (If searching, look for Essex Place which is the entrance road).
    Might be worth looking in to.

Chipp'n'Dale

Bingo!!! Can't give you full details as it's on the junction of four sheets of the old Alan Godfrey maps, of which I only have one, but it definitely labels that site as "Nursery"

To give you an idea, look at this link (hopefully it's OK to post this, if it isn't and this gets removed PM me and I'll send it through): https://archivemaps.com/mapco/stanford/stan41.htm
    Find Chiswick Park station. Head south down Acton Green Lane. South of the other railway, on the east side of the road, there are two buildings (the southern one is labelled as West London Depository on my map). Below that is an east/west boundary line. The area south of that is what is labelled as the Nursury
    Last edited by Chipp'n'Dale; 17-06-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added other map details

Chipp'n'Dale

On a roll now

Google "Fromow" and "Chiswick". You'll find a number of articles. The one you (might) be interested in is referred to is Acton Lane (formerly Acton Green Lane).

Leave it with you now. I'm off for some sleep.

A fountain of knowledge

OK, switching stations and reverting to the aforementioned 1911 directory, I find (p50, image 60) that it's another of Thomas Johnson's nurseries, "Fairlawn", north of Essex Place and now under Sainsbury's car park.

The 'phone books show that Johnson was at Fairlawn until 1932. William Fromow was in Acton Lane in 1933 under the name Sutton Court Nurseries but probably the same place.

Well done, Chipp, for thnking outside the station box. Maybe if I'd thought to look at an aerial view of Sainsbury's and realised how big an area it covers I wouldn't have got derailed at Turnham Green.

nataliew

This is fantastic stuff! I googled Thomas Johnson and Bedford Park Nursery the other night to no avail. I'm absolutely sure this Acton Green Lane one is the right one - my nan's brother hasn't lived in the area for some years now and it makes sense that he would easily confuse the station names but Sainsburys is a pretty big (literally!) clue.
    I'll follow up these leads tonight and see if I can get anywhere online but I suspect I'll need to overcome my archive fear to really make any further headway.. Am planning a big family history night while football is on!
    on that note... took advantage of the fmp offer and found my great-grandmother in 1911 listed as a bookmaker for a 'florist'. hmm...

bibliojunkie

Congrats on the find Chipp’n’Dale. As I was reading this thread, I wondered if your great uncle was referring to one of the original Sainsbury’s shops rather than a much later supermarket. Perhaps there was one of the former in the relevant area. I can remember going to one in North London with my nan in the late 1950’s. We queued separately at different counters to save time. I was chuffed to be given such a responsible job but always worried I would get the order mixed up!

Good luck with your research Natalie.

Ali

nataliew

evening everyone!
    Thanks Ali - he was clear that it was a big new Sainsburys - just the stations that are mixed up I think!
    I see what you all mean about the alan godfrey maps - it's frustratingly stuck between a corner of my 1893 South Acton and 1935 Chiswick map!
    Anyway, have done a bit of reading online about the Fromows and it seems they didn't move to Acton Lane until the 1930s - but did acquire that land in 1887. There's significantly more about them whereas Thomas Johnson and Fairlawn brings up nothing online... Think I'm probably as close as I can get without a trip to Chiswick Library!

nataliew

breakthrough! went back to my great-uncle and he'd been trying to think of the name of the nursery and was sure it started with 'f'... so must be 'Fairlawn'! Thank you all so much - I shall hope to uncover more on this!

Chipp'n'Dale

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    breakthrough! went back to my great-uncle and he'd been trying to think of the name of the nursery and was sure it started with 'f'... so must be 'Fairlawn'! Thank you all so much - I shall hope to uncover more on this!
    or Fromow

This is pretty interesting to me. After searching for Bedford Park Nursery, all I really found was this discussion. I now know my ancestors, William and Sarah Edge used to own or run that Nursery from at least 1888 to 1896. Sarah died in 1901 so it may have been sold around this time.

It seems like the man who owned it afterwards had his fingers in many pies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12