Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Smith

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Nice one Keyboard86, gives a lot of marriage names to look up.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Keyboard86

PS Excuse typos missing words etc, using mobile and half asleep.
    Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Children may well have appeared earlier, however, before 1911 the Mothers name was not mentioned in the regstration lists. All guesswork unless you have prior knowledge of names.
    I'm such an idiot sometimes! I forgot I was searching with a maiden name!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi this might give you the start you require:-

1911 Census

Census Ref RG14PN32153 RG78PN1847 SN426 (Census Ref courtesy of and copyright TNA)
    Well done Keyboard. I couldn't find that yesterday, but was obviously not at my sharpest (see above )
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Alfred George SMTH Head 27 occ Out of work Labourer on Docks born East Pinster Sussex
    Ada Wife 26 Married 8 years they have had 5 children 4 living 1 died born Jersey
    Alfred ?? Son 7
    William Noah Son 6
    Robert George Son 5
    Sidney Edward Son 3
    Albert Egger Son 9 months

Census Ref RG14PN32153 RG78PN1847 SN426 (Census Ref courtesy of and copyright TNA)
    Looking at the original image, the middle name of the first born son was Joseph. Alfred George was born in East Grinstead.
    Sue Mackay

gschwarzel

Thank you Keyboard 86, so much new info to digest. Had no idea that Alfred was born in Sussex, and had to look it up on the map as I have only been to England and Wales on a short trip many years ago. Will apply for the marriage and birth certificates for both Alfred George Smith and Ada Mears and then take it from there.

gschwarzel

Hi, this is a bit confusing as Keyboard86 has Alfred George being born in East Pinster Sussex and your reply states East Grinstead. Apologise for my lack of knowledge of localities and had to even look up where Sussex is. Was always under the impression that he was born and bred Cardiff so this is full of surprises. Thanks for your help.

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by gschwarzel View Post
    Thank you Keyboard 86, so much new info to digest. Had no idea that Alfred was born in Sussex, and had to look it up on the map as I have only been to England and Wales on a short trip many years ago. Will apply for the marriage and birth certificates for both Alfred George Smith and Ada Mears and then take it from there.
    Hi again, so that you order the correct birth certificate for Alfred here it is:-

Alfred George Smith born March qtr 1882 East Grinstead 2b 150

Have a great time in your search, any help you need just SHOUT ok!!

Keyboard86

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sometimes if you Google the place name ie E.Grinstead Sussex, or just Sussex,....then when the map comes up use the directions box to key in E.Prinster (or where-ever) you may find it very cose to the other mentioned place. probably registrations were made at the larger town or the name was just easier to remember.
    I hope I typed what I meant, have cold will not be very on top of it today.

Oh dear, I just tried that & wound up in the US on Priinster drive. Oh well it mainly works
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Hi, this is a bit confusing as Keyboard86 has Alfred George being born in East Pinster Sussex and your reply states East Grinstead. Apologise for my lack of knowledge of localities and had to even look up where Sussex is.
    I think the census entry had been indexed as East Pinster - always a problem when dealing with old handwriting. When I looked at the original image I was pretty sure it said East Grinstead, and of course as I used to live in Sussex I knew there was such a place, whereas to my knowledge there is no such place as East Pinster.
    Sue Mackay

Hi, I'm looking for any traces of my father's family history. Walter James Smith, b.6.3.1922 at Ruppera Street, Cardiff. Mother Ada Mears, father Alfred George Smith, brewer's labourer. Walter joined the navy in 1940, landed up in South Africa and married my mother. He came from a large family, mainly boys (no known names), one sister Phyllis. Unfortunately he lost touch with his family. Would love to know more.
    Hi my name is Robert, my grandfather was Robert George Smith. My late mother told me a little about my grandads family,said he had a brother walter who joined the navy and settled in south Africa but lost touch. If you would like to contact me my email is robertDOTmelhuishAThotmail.com
    Last edited by christanel; 04-11-2023 at 7:57 PM. Reason: email address disguised

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast