Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Hi Rachel, I've just cleaned up the photo a bit, it might help.
    Hugh.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Rachandgarry View Post
    I am hoping it is a photo of Lucy King, my G-G-GM who was born in 1867. What do you reckon? Rachel x
    Rachel wh do you think the "Gr--y Selwyn" is ,..written across the top back? Anothe Relative, or perhaps the original owner of the photo?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

birdlip

Granny Selwyn?

Jun 1892 SELWYN Alfred Cresswell Alderbury 5a 366
    (and on the same page Lucy Eliza KING)

Kelly's Directory Wiltshire 1898
    Witcomb and Son, artists in photography, 8 & 10 Catherine St, patronised by royalty
    Kelly's Directory Wiltshire 1907
    Witcomb and Son, portrait and landscape photographers, electric light studio open every evening, 10 Catherine St

The 1901 Census has Witcomb at Nos 8 & 10 Catherine St. By 1911 No 8 is a drapery business.

The address on the card is No 10 only. So, must date after 1901 at least?

I cannot find Witcomb, 9, Triangle in the on line Directories. Can anyone establish when Witcomb expanded to Bournemouth?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Granny Selwyn? Jun 1892 SELWYN Alfred Cresswell Alderbury 5a 366 (and on the same page Lucy Eliza KING)
    Nice one birdlip.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Rachandgarry

Thanks for the wiki link Adele - I hadn't seen that, it is quite interesting.

Hugh - thank you for your work on the photo, its fab!

Waitabit and Birdlip - it is my mum's writing, and I believe it says granny selwyn. mums grandmother would have been born in 1893 so I dont think its her, I am assuming the label granny selwyn was actually her g-grandmother (i.e. Lucy King b 1867). Sadly mum died when i was 18 and there's no other family left to ask :-(

There are about 10 photos I found this weekend, and I'm working through them methodically trying to work out who and when they are. Is there a specific place I can post them so others can just double check my theories - I'm not afraid of hard work trying to date them, but I'm so worried about getting it wrong and spending the next however many years with the wrong assumptions!

Thanks again

Rachel x
    Last edited by Rachandgarry; 03-06-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: stupidity on my part lol

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I cannot find Witcomb, 9, Triangle in the on line Directories. Can anyone establish when Witcomb expanded to Bournemouth?
    The "Post Office Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire & Dorset, 1875", has Charles John Witcomb(e) at 10 Catherine Street under "Fancy Repositories" (pp546 & 700) and also "Photographers" (p724, image 752, but not found by Search), but no hits for Bournemouth.

"Kelly's Directory of Hampshire & Isle of Wight, 1898", p97, has Witcomb & Son, photographers, at 9 Triangle, Bournemouth.

The same directory for 1911, p210, has Witcomb & Son, photographers, West end, Fordingbridge. 9 Triangle is now New Hudson Cycle Co Ltd (p110) and the only Witcomb in Bournemouth is a dentist (p116).

There aren't enough online directories to pin them down very well, and the longevity of the business means that its dates don't help much anyway.

I too have photos with names on the back like "Granny xxx", but such inscriptions aren't very informative unless you know who wrote them for whom.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachandgarry View Post
    There are about 10 photos I found this weekend, and I'm working through them methodically trying to work out who and when they are. Is there a specific place I can post them so others can just double check my theories - I'm not afraid of hard work trying to date them, but I'm so worried about getting it wrong and spending the next however many years with the wrong assumptions!

Rachel x
    Yes, you can post them in this Photographers & Old Photographs forum. Best to do one photograph per thread.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Yes, you can post them in this Photographers & Old Photographs forum. Best to do one photograph per thread.
    Go ahead Rachel...we love old photos!

Rachandgarry

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm happy enough that the photograph is from the 1880's and I think it is feasible the woman could be 18 - 22 years old, which would fit with my guess of it being Lucy King born 1867. I'm *so* happy to have found a photo of her, I feel she was the influence that changed my ancestors path from one of bigamy and general unexplainable behaviour (moving around, changing names etc) because since she married Alfred Cresswell Selwyn, things seem to have remained stable and above board.

Adele/anyone who remembers my Cresswell/Selwyns - Lucy King is the daughter-in-law of the troublesome Henry/Alfred Cresswell/Selwyn - remember him hehe!

Just going to post some more now, thank you all again

Rachel x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast