Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pennydog

Hi Ronone - it does look like it is a double transcription, as both the originals are the same. I agree with you that page 739 is the correct reference.

Dolly

Gosh! Thanks! I thought that I was good at this and you've really shown me so much that I had missed. Most of my friends ask me to do their family trees for "special" birthdays, when we get older it is very difficult to think of something different. This is for a friend's 80'th. It's not like when I do my own, when I bought certificates for each geneneration. I pay for a few as birthday gifts and the rest have to be paid for by the person whose family I am researching, so I keep them to a minimum. But I will have to send for the marriage certficate for Sarah and try to find out which is "our" John. I know from later censuses that there were a couple of "John's" born around the same time.

Thanks again

Dolly

Dolly

Hi can you tell me how you obtained such a full entry from Family Search Record? I admit that I am always forgetting the Pilot Search, but now that I am accessing it for this family I do not get such detailed information. What am I missing?
    I haven't done much FH for the last couple of years because of family problems, but I have kept my subscriptions up for the various sites that I use. I know that I am going to have problems with another part of the family in Cheshire. I can't understand their parish records project, it is not straight forward searching. I have used the Family Search Pilot for part of that family. Luckily they are mostly non-conformist and there is quite a bit of info out there. However as I said before the info is not as detailed as you have given me here.

Dolly

RonOne

Hi Dolly,

Regarding the Family Search Pilot - it all depends on the entry in question as to what information you get. Sometimes the same record has been transcribed more than once and one entry may contain more information than others, father’s names, ages at marriage etc…

There is also a new site Family Search Beta (Although I haven’t yet found anything on here that isn’t on the Family Search Pilot site)

The Cheshire Parish Register Project can be a bit confusing until you get used to the various codes used.
    Even the dates appear difficult to read at first - it’s easier if you add 1 to the start and read backwards:

For example: 7780215
    Add 1 to the start: 17780215 - 1778 02 15
    Reading backwards becomes: 15 February 1778

If you need any help with the Cheshire Parish Register Project, just ask.

Best regards

- Ronone -

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    I have found the following marriage on the IGI:
    John Parker to Mary Ann Charnley 17 Mar 1864 Heptonstall, Halifax, Yorkshire
    I know that this is the marriage that I want because I have their daughter's birth certificate. My problem is that on this marriage record John gives his father's name as Eli Sutcliffe, I have found the christening of a "John Parker" mother Sarah Parker, 6th Mar 1842, also at Heptonstall, I cannot find this Sarah & her son on the 1851 census.
    I have John and Mary Ann on all censuses from 1871 onwards, he was a barber or hairdresser on all of them.

There are quite a few Eli or Ely Sutcliffes in the area in 1851. I just wondered if, in the absence of a father, john thought that Eli was the nearest that he had

I just cannot find John Parker, who, at only 8 years old should be somewhere in 1851

Dolly

Any suggestions?

I am related to Eli Sutcliffe and can provide you with further info if you are interested?

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Graham S.
    Unfortunately the original poster Dolly and the people who helped in her search are no longer members of the forum as indicated by the word 'guest' under their user names. This means they will not get any notification of your post as we do not keep contact information for 'guests.'
    Now you have taken the trouble to join our friendly forums why not take a look around and if you need help with anything just post about it on a suitable forum and if there is anywhere you think you can help someone else, please join in.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12