Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default THOMAS BRYAN of Broseley.

I am looking for any information on Thomas Bryan, a gentleman of Brosley, Shropshire. He seems so far to have been interesting. he continued his fathers surveying business at the age of sixteen including working at Jackfield church in readiness for an enclosing wall. He apparantly cut the beginnings of the foundations for the wall himself and laid the first two bricks. He married Mary Browne at Broseley in 1771 After the birth of seven children Mary died and Thomas remarried to Ann Robins Matthews in 1782. In 1787 Thomas acquired the substantial Tuckies estate overlooking the River Severn whom he leased to Lord Dundonald and later William Reynolds with whom Thomas owned half the passage boat which linked Coalport to Jackfield carrying large numbers of workers across the river.Thomas was born i believe in 1750 to Thomas Bryan and his wife Elizabeth but i cannot find out any more about his parents. If he was indeed a gentleman might their be a painting of him somewhere and i would love to know wether he was presented to the Prince and Princess of Orange on their visit to Ironbridge in 1796. Not much to ask for i know but hey ho.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It sounds like he would have left a will. Have you found one?

I wonder if this thread would be better on the Shropshire forum, where members with local interests might be able to help? Please say if you would like it moved.

yes please..... and no havent found a will....yet.

bristolloggerheads

The Broseley Anti-Felons wound up their affairs at the Lion Hotel, on July 30th, 1959. No such precise knowledge, so far as I am aware, is available about the Association’s beginnings.
    Two minute-books have survived, the earlier one opening on page one, with an account of a meeting of Members held on October 9th, 1789, with a rough draft of proceedings written on the fly-leaf facing page one. It is apparent that the Association was already a flourishing concern; indeed there is later evidence that it existed in 1775.

The 1789 meeting was “Held at the House of Mr. John Cleobury at The Fox Inn in Broseley.

Present:
    Mr. Thos Mytton
    Mr.Jno. Onions
    Jno. Morris
    Tho. Baker
    Jno. Rose
    Ben Haines
    Jno. Perry
    Fr. Baker
    Elias Prestwick
    Saml. Scale
    Mr. Jno. Morris (junior)
    Ed. Owen
    Mr. Tho. Bryan
    Jno. Guest
    Jno. B. Corbet
    Jno. Boden
    Geo. Hartshorne
    J. Cleobury
    Jno. Weaver
    Ch. Guest

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you seen the extracted Parish Records for Shropshire available on Ancestry? many Thomas Bryans or children of Thos. & Ann or Thos. & Elizabeth. Broseley not mentioned but several little villages near by are. Litchfield diocese.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

i think i might have found his baptism on the igi but it is spelt Bryon baptised September 1725 at Broseley to Thomas and Mary Bryan. But i can find no more off the igi for them so i will need to check the parish records when i can next get to Shrewsbury.

bristolloggerheads

There were Bryans in Much Wenlock too. It is always worth checking out that PR for anywhere in the wider Wenlock area (which includes Broseley).

bryana

Thomas Bryan was born 19 July 1750 - son of Thomas Bryan born 23 August 1725 and Elizabeth born 27 September 1720.

I was not aware of his first marriage to Mary Browne.

cochranejenny

I have a tentative link to a Thos Bryan. I am researching the Cochranes and Alexander Brodie who owned the Calcutts ironworks. Alex Brodie's niece, Lilias, married Thos Cochrane and it is possible that their daughter Jean (b. 1783) married a younger Thos Bryan in London in 1811. They had a son called Alexander Brodie Bryan, but I can't find out any more info.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by bryana View Post
    Thomas Bryan was born 19 July 1750 - son of Thomas Bryan born 23 August 1725 and Elizabeth born 27 September 1720.

I was not aware of his first marriage to Mary Browne.
    hi...revisiting this line and i womdered what parish Thomas' parents were baptised in...or married as i cant find them in Broseley...