Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sheleen

Default Rummey, Pink, Hayes in Hampshire

These are the names I'm (so far) interested in in the Hampshire area. Both the surnames of Pink and Hayes married into the Rummey family. It is the line of 'Pink' I am concentrating on at the moment....
    specifically anything back from this young lady:
    Rose Mary Pink
    Born abt 1845 in Winchester(?)
    Married: Henry Rummey (aka Harry Rummey) : february 28th 1871, at St Thomas Parish Church, Winchester.
    Father:Charles Pink, a shoemaker.
    At the time of marriage, the groom was living at St Thomas'... the bride's residence is harder to make out... it looks like Martyr (???) Worthy.
    Witnesses to marriage: Arthur Pink and Sarah Boyes

FredP

Default Rummey, Pink & Hayes.

Hi Sheleen,

I looked for your names in various directories covering Winchester and surrounding villages including Martyr Worthy, one of several 'Worthy' villages to the north of Winchester.

No CHARLES PINK, shoemaker in any of them, I'm afraid, but I found

in 1859 - JOHN HAYES, ironmonger, 113 High Street, Winchester,
    and LOUISE RUMMEY, chair letter, St Thomas Street, Winchester.

in 1885 - CHARLES RICHARD PINK, 5 Westerham Villas, St Cross Rd, Winchester,%of them, I'm afraid, but I found

in 1859 - JOHN HAYES, ironmonger, 113 High Street, Winchester,
    and LOUISE RUMMEY, chair letter, St Thomas Street, Winchester.

in 1885 - CHARLES RICHARD PINK, 5 Westerham Villas, St Cross Rd, Winchester,
    ERNEST WILLIAM PINK, 26 Edgar Road, Winchester,
    MRS PINK, 9 Eastgate Street, Winchester,
    RICHARD PINK, MRIBA, Architect & Surveyor to Winchester College, Castle Hill.

You may find this message come up in a different form; the previous one seemed t3C/P>ERNEST WILLIAM PINK, 26 Edgar Road, Winchester,
    MRS PINK, 9 Eastgate Street, Winchester,
    RICHARD PINK, MRIBA, Architect & Surveyor to Winchester College, Castle Hill.

You may find this message come up in a different form; the previous one seemed to disappear, but may have been forwarded.

FredP.

Sheleen

FredP...
    How nice of you to look for that! I'm very grateful...thank you.
    Charles Pink (along with a few others) will be my undoing with family research... lol
    I've had breakthroughs with nearly every line I've researched... but the Rummey and Pink lines are the absolute WORST!
    I'll mull over what you've posted, and see if I can make any definate connections.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default The PINKs

Sheleen,

[Please excuse the repeating text, if any, in this message...]

Rose Mary PINK... Rose PINK. What a delightful name! How could you be anything but a sweet-tempered, happy and fortunate person with a name like that?

Rose Mary RUMMEY's birthplace is listed as Candover, Hampshire in the 1871 census. In the 1861 census, there is a Rose PINK, born about 1848 in Brown Candover. Father is Charles, mother is Mary. Here's the household:

Name Estimated / Birth Year / Birthplace Relationship / Occupation
    Charles Pink abt 1811 Preston Candover, Hampshire, England Head Cord Wainer
    Mary Pink abt 1815 Dummer, Hampshire, England Wife
    William Pink abt 1844 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Cord Wainer
    Rose Pink abt 1848 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Daughter Scholar
    Arthur Pink abt 1850 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    Charles Pink abt 1853 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    John Pink abt 1855 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    Sidney Pink abt 1860 Brown Candover, Hampshire* sweet-tempered, happy and fortunate person with a name like that?

Rose Mary RUMMEY's birthplace is listed as Candover, Hampshire in the 1871 census. In the 1861 census, there is a Rose PINK, born about 1848 in Brown Candover. Father is Charles, mother is Mary. Here's the household:

Charles Pink abt 1811 Preston Candover, Hampshire, England Head Cord Wainer
    Mary Pink abt 1815 Dummer, Hampshire, England Wife
    William Pink abt 1844 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Cord Wainer
    Rose Pink abt 1848 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Daughter Scholar
    Arthur Pink abt 1850 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    Charles Pink abt 1853 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    John Pink abt 1855 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    Sidney Pink abt 1860 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son

Address: St 28 Public R, Brown Candover, Hampshire
    Source information: RG9/703
    Registration district: Alresford
    Sub-registration district: Alresford
    ED, institution, or vessel: 5
    Folio: 68
    Page: 13

More to follow...

Trish

Default More PINKs

There are a couple more PINKs living almost next door to Charles and Mary PINK in 1861. They look like good candidates for grandparents to your Rose Mary PINK...

William Pink abt 1788 Old Basing, Hampshire, England Head Formerly Groom
    Rose Pink abt 1785 Preston Candover, Hampshire, England Wife

All source info is the same as for Charles and Mary PINK.

HTH,
    Trish

Default 1871 PINKs

In 1871, Mary PINK is a widow... but another daughter has appeared. Where was she in 1861? Also, no William or Rose PINK so perhaps they have passed away by this time.

Mary Pink abt 1815 Dummer, Hampshire, England Head Sub Post Mistress
    Annie L Pink abt 1843 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Daughter
    John L Pink abt 1855 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Farm Servant
    Sidney W Pink abt 1860 Brown Candover, Hampshire, England Son Scholar
    William Pitter abt 1837 Bentworth, Hampshire, England Boarder Shoemaker

Address: Sub Post Office, Brown Candover, Hampshire

Source information: RG10/1224
    Registration district: Alresford
    Sub-registration district: Alresford
    ED, institution, or vessel: 5
    Folio: 77
    Page: 9

Default Anne L. PINK, Arthur PINK and Matilda PINK

Thought you'd like to know...

In 1861, Anne L. PINK is working as a nursery maid in the Francis and Mary THORNTON household. Francis V. THORNTON is the rector of Brown Candover. [RG9/703 Folio 62]

In 1871, Rose Mary's younger brother and marriage witness Arthur PINK, aged 21, is living in Brown Candover. He is working as a footman in the MAY household on Brook Street. Mary MAY, a widow, is the head and Edward ROBERTSON, her son-in-law is a land agent. [RG10/1234 Folio 83]

I don't see Arthur on subsequent censuses, but, sadly, there's a death listed in the Civil Registration Index for an Arthur PINK, aged 30, in the September quarter of 1880 in the Winchester district.

In 1891, Rose Mary's mother, Mary, is still alive. At 76, she is still the "Sub-postmistress". Living with her is her single daughter, Matilda, 43 [her assistant] and a lodger, Sarah Bright, 73, a widow. [RG12/949 Folio 56] So where was Matilda on the 1861 and 1871 censuses? In the 1881 census, her birthdate is given as 1857, which would make her 33 or 34 in 1891, not 43.

Ahhh, but there is an Agnes M. PINK in the 1861 census. She's 16 -- so born about 1845 -- birthplace given as Brown Candover, and she's working as a house servant in the home of Frederick P. and Olive BAILY. Frederick is a farmer of 800 acres. [RG9/703 Folio 68] She doesn't show up in 1871.

HTH,
    Trish

Default Agnes/Matilda PINK

I think I've found Agnes/Matilda PINK in 1871:

There's a transcription for an Agnes SINK but, judging from the enumerator's handwriting, the first letter of the surname could be a P not an S. She's living in the household of Lord and Lady SOUTHAMPTON [BTW, he's 66, she's 32!] in the "Mansion" in Whittlebury, Northamptonshire and she's working as a ?stillroom? maid. Age is given as 27 [so birth year is about 1844] and birthplace is Candover. [RG10/1471]

However, my theory about Agnes and Matilda being one and the same goes down the drain if you look at the 1891 census. Both are listed. Matilda as the daughter of Mary, of course, and Agnes as a single, 46 year old cook in the household of Lydia RASHLEIGH [48, single and living on own means]. Address is Abbey House, Hound, Hampshire. [RG12/923 Folio 5]

So I guess I'm leaving you with a little puzzle as your PINKs seems to be the only ones of Candover or Brown Candover -- which means that Agnes probably ties in to your family somehow!

Good luck,
    Trish

Sheleen

Default In the Pink :)

Wow! Trish, you have been busy!
    I have a lot of that info (sorry)... but you noticing the next-door neighbours were related is brilliant! I could kick myself, because I usually check... thank you so much for that.

Ancestry has done its usual trick... I sent off for Charles Pink's death certificate, using the information I had found on Ancestry.
    Charles Pink, Died in 1879 aged 68.....
    Whe the certificate came, it was a Charles Pink, but he had died in 1868, aged 79. I couldn't believe I had made that mistake... double checked with Ancestry... and I hadn't made a mistake. The next day, I decided to double-double-check the details at Ancestry... and found that the details were now corrected. What a waste of a certificate! lol. Still... it may come in useful.

Mary (mother of Matilda) ran the post office for many years... and Matilda never married.... aged 14 in 1861, she was a nursemaid to the Pettit family... the family ran a boarding school. From what I can gather, to be a nursemaid, you would have to have given birth yourself?... and Matilda was only 14 years old at the time. Matilda's age changes through the census - sometimes listed as 1857, sometimes 1847... from the 1861 census, I'll assume that 1847 was the closer birth year. Whether Matilda gave birth so young is a bit of a mystery... and I don't know whether it's one I want to solve just yet. Someone else who is looking into the family suggested that one of her siblings may actually be her child (Sidney, perhaps?).
    Strangely enough, Mary's grandson (my grandfather) also ran a post-office - though Wilfred (Marys grandson) never knew his grandmother.

Annie Pink did eventually marry... and Agnes is just about as much of a mystery now as she was back in the 1800's, I'm guessing

I had stopped at Charles Pink (born abt 1811)... but thanks to your keen eyes, I have one more generation to add to my list.
    The Rummey's have been traced back to Benjamin, born abt 1793... so that line has finished for now... and the Hayes has gone way way back...mid 1700's - and I could go a lot further too - LDS is chok-a-block with Hayes's from Hursely

Thank you again Trish... you're an absolute star!

Sheleen

Just found out what a cord wainer is...
    Its another name for a shoemaker...
    That sorts out a few things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast