Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newspaper Library digitisation

I see that the British Library have announced that Brightsolid are to digitise the contents of the Colindale Newspaper Library. See here

For overseas researchers this is fantastic news. What am I saying for any researcher it is fantastic news. Yes it will only be available through paid access unless you go to Colindale but at the moment it is only available by going to Colindale anyway, so this is a great improvement.

I will be watching and waiting and anticipating for the next ten years - so exciting
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I am rather surprised that I seem to be the only person who thinks this is a good thing. Am I missing something?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I am rather surprised that I seem to be the only person who thinks this is a good thing. Am I missing something?
    I think that it is a good idea as well, Ladkyis.

Even with paid access, for those on the British mainland, it can be a darn sight cheaper than travelling to Colindale as well as trying to find somewhere to park. Although I do enjoy visiting Colindale, but then I live relatively close.....

A fountain of knowledge

I think this is very exciting. I am looking forward to putting flesh on the bones of some of my ancestors.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

it will only be available through paid access unless you go to Colindale
    It will also be available free at the British Library's St Pancras reading rooms.

Reputation beyond repute

I am rather surprised that I seem to be the only person who thinks this is a good thing.
    According to a news report, James Murdoch, head of News Corp in Europe and Asia, has attacked the British Library's plan. If that doesn't convince everyone else that it's a Very Good Thing, I don't know what will

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Now that Brightsolid have taken over Genes Reunited I'll be interested to see on which site they'll put the records.
    Brightsolid is far bigger than Genes Reunited and FMP. It's a huge company, with dozens of different platforms.

brightsolid.com/news/recent-news/british-library-and-brightsolid-partnership-to-digitise-up-to-40-million-pages-of-historic-newspapers (put www. in front).

I may be wrong, but I'd expect the newspapers to be on a stand-alone site.

Reputation beyond repute

I'd expect the newspapers to be on a stand-alone site.
    Particularly because they would be of broad historical, not just genealogical, interest.

Famous for offering help & advice SBSFamilyhistory's Avatar

Daft question, I know, but which papers do they have and for which dates??
    Like Rottweilers friendly, loyal and always willing to help.

No you're not Ladkyis... and even if I hadn't been to read your opening post, Peter's about James Murdoch's reaction would have convinced me!

I am very lucky in that I live within 1.5 hours of Colindale but it's not the most convenient place to get to and the facilities aren't great. I'll definitely pay for the online service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast