Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Colin..

You are so correct... to Orielbenfro for the helping "camera"

Sue

Orielbenfro

Default Mary Ann Roch

Colin
    The IGI shows a Mary Ann Roch baptized 09 Jul 1843 at St Brides, to James & Mary Roch. Since I have been able to confirm this from other sources its probably correct.

There are a number of Roch wills at St Ishmaels and St Brides that might be worth you viewing at
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...=profeb&lng=en

Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Colin Rowledge

Default Ordnance Surveys map of Mid-West Pembrokeshir

Quote Originally Posted by Orielbenfro View Post
    Colin
    The IGI shows a Mary Ann Roch baptized 09 Jul 1843 at St Brides, to James & Mary Roch. Since I have been able to confirm this from other sources its probably correct.

There are a number of Roch wills at St Ishmaels and St Brides that might be worth you viewing at
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...=profeb&lng=en

Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    Thanks for the link, Orielbenfro. When time permits, I look for Wills.

I've just searched National Library of Wales catalogue to see if there were any Ordnance/Survey maps of the areas covered in the book you suggested. No luck there!!

The book arrived, I've read it and it was a fascinating read of the lives of publicans in the time of the late 18th, through to the 20th century. My wife knew next to nothing of her ancestry from Pembrokeshire and wants to see places mentioned in the book by having a reference map to compare to. Given the number of Rees and Roch names that show up, while I know these are quite prevalent names in the area, it would also help me trace possible links to other family members.

Can you, or anyone else, assist me in finding such a map?

Cheers

Jan1954

Have you had a look here, Colin?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Have you had a look here, Colin?
    Hi Jan
    Yes I had checked it out, but not sure that it is quite what I want. Maybe our Good Shepherd" can enlighten me? I currently have in my possession, a copy of Sheet #96 of a "Reprint of the first edition of the one inch Ordnance Survey of England and Wales". This covers Truro and Lizard Head.

The shet/map I would like is #56 which covers Pembroke. I did try emailing the publishers, who I can't mention on the forum, but the message was undeliverable. This is why I'm attempting through the forum to find where I might obtain a copy.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    Do you not mean this one? There are also other versions of the same map here - just scroll down a bit.
    Hi Bo-Peep

I think that the 1st link you provided is what I want. The 2nd link was what Jan provided earlier.

Thanks
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Thanks - you know I's a doofus with this aspect. Now found what I wanted.

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thanks for the link, Orielbenfro. When time permits, I look for Wills.

I've just searched National Library of Wales catalogue to see if there were any Ordnance/Survey maps of the areas covered in the book you suggested.
    Cheers
    Colin
    For some reason this is the only posting that has been dropped in my in tray, I have missed all the others, including the very kind words posted by you and others, it rather leaves me 'ing for what was a rather simple piece of research.
    If you have specific places of interest, let me know and I can research early military and O.S. maps on your behalf although beware there are not that many, the best place for maps is TNA not NLoW, although they to have very few if any on line.
    In Pembrokeshire place names and field names i.e. farms etc do not tend to change over the years so I would recommend you look at even very modern O.S. map for the area of your interest I use O.S. OL 35 Explorer Map 4cm to 1Km. I would also use Google Maps in satallite mode in conjunction with the OS.
    If its not too early I recommend the 1837-41 Tythe Map, from this you can still see the outline of the fields in modern OS and google maps. The Tythe Map is at the NLoW for the area of your interest.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

helenfr6

Hi Colin

I have been researching my family history and I have just found your queries regarding the Brook Inn and Lewis Rees.

Lewis Rees and Mary Ann Roch are my great great great grand parents.

It would be great to get in touch to share the information I have collected.

Thanks

Helen Rees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12