Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Looking for a Pub. called The Brook Inn

My wife's Great Grandparents died in the 1890's in Dyfed, Pembroikeshire. Their names were Lewis Rees and Mary Ann nee Roch.

By the time of the 1871 census they were living in St. Ishmael, Pembrokeshire where Lews was both a Stone Mason and Innkeeper. He continued running a pub up until his death in 1898. The name of the pub. was The Brook Inn.

Can anybody tell me of its history? I tried googling it with no luck

Thanks
    Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think the Brook Inn still exists, under that name. Tel 0044 1646 636277. So you could ring them. Google St Ishmaels, and you'll see a reference to it there.

Elwyn

Colin Rowledge

Thanks Elwyn,

Seems a pity in this day and age that they do not have a web-site. As I am hearing impaired, I'll just have to communicate my enquires by snail-mail

Colin

Jan1954

Colin,

If you visit: findsomewhere.co.uk/HiddenPlacesWales/Pembrokeshire/WAL44253.htm (putting https://www. in front) it will show a couple of photographs of the place.

colashbury

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=st+...fa7b1b4788ce8b
    Hi Col. Try this page. Just right click on above link. There is also a link on the right for the pub that has a small picture. Another one has the tourist info and the history of St Ishmael. Maybe worth sending them an email. Sure that they would be able to help.............Colin

Orielbenfro

Default Brook Inn

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The name of the pub. was The Brook Inn.
    Colin
    I suggest you have a look in your local library for the book "The Pubs of Haverfordwest, Milford Haven and Mid West Pembrokeshire". ISBN-10: 1904396631 ISBN-13: 978-1904396635. One of a series of 4 books on the Pubs of the County written by Keith Johnson, only 3 are currently in print.
    If you wish to purchase your own copy I suggest you call or write to Wendy Johnson at the Bookshop in Main Street Pembroke. Any problem P.M. me and we can work something out together.
    I've just had a quick look at St Ishmaels 1841 and there is no reference to the Pub then. The only publican noted is down at Sandy Haven which by 1861 appears to be called "The Sloop".
    Again in 1861 there is a property called Brook House in the occupation of John Lewis a Seaman(Merchant Service), perhaps it is this location that became the pub.
    Next door in 1861 is the Elm Tree in the occupation of William Roch a Mason and Publican who has an Ebenzer Thomas Police Constable residing with him.
    In the village is The Ship Publick House occupied by Stephen Allen a retired seaman and publican.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Colin Rowledge

Hello from Canada.

You certainly provided me with 'food for thought' in your last post. The book you mentioned is not obtainable through my local library and although I am prepared to order a copy I would like to enquire of you a little further, if I may?

My late sister-in-law compiled quite a detailed history back to the early 1800's and my wife has the notes but no documentation to suuport. You have, on another thread, offered a look up service, which I believe could cover St.Ishmael's back to to the early 1800's and possibly further back still. If I posted the information we have, on that site, could you verify for us any or all of the material, prior to ordering appropriate certificates?

One other thing, is that I've sent a letter to the Brook Inn, outlining our possible connection to the place, but in this day and age of suspicion, they may not respond. With the book that you mentioned earlier can you tell me anything about the place from the mid 1880's to the date of death of Lewis Rees in 1898?

Thanks for your help.

Colin

Orielbenfro

Default Brook Inn St Ishmaels

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Their names were Lewis Rees and Mary Ann nee Roch.
    Colin
    I did some research today. Lewis as a Widow resided at the Brook Inn in 1891 with his children, as a retired Stone Mason and Innkeeper. In 1881 He resided at the same location with his wife Mary Ann and family.
    It appears that it was the Elm Tree that changed its name to the Brook Inn.
    I have been able to locate some history and a very eary picture of the pub.
    As it was such a nice day I rode over to St Ishmaels to see if the pub still remained as it does and took a picture. I then rode down to St Ishmaels Church and fought my through the undergrowth (as I have done before) and was very lucky to find the grave/headstone of Lewis(1896) and Mary Ann (1891).
    For your interest Lewis Rees, or as he is in '91 Lewis Evans Rees married Mary Ann Roch in the 3rd Qtr of 1860 in one of the parishes with in the Haverfordwest Registration District.
    In 1891 Lewis says he was born in Rosemarket, I searched and whilst there are a number of Rees baptisms there, I could not find one for Lewis. In 1881 he states he was born in Steyton, again I searched but alas found nothing.
    I suspect that your Lewis was born Lewis Evans Rees in the Pembroke Registration District in the 2nd Qtr of 1840. Currently from my transcriptions I have been unable to identifiy the baptism of Lewis.
    This is all I have had time to do today. I have some interesting jpegs for you as soon as I have an email address.
    Trust the above fits in with you previous known research.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Colin Rowledge

Hello and thank you for the wonderful confirmation of what I have.

I have p/m'd with my email address.

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Hello.

I just want to make known publicly how much I appreciate your efforts and what you sent in various emails. This is one of the most important benefits of being a member of this forum. for B-G

Again, my personal thanks.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast