HunnyB22

Smile Watermen of Lincolnshire

Hi...My maternal grandfather and family were all watermen (lightermen). Grandad was called James Knott (1872-1952) and was from Winteringham, Lincolnshire. His father, Christopher, had a vessel (barge) called "Blanche" around 1871-1881. I would be interested in finding more about their voyages and the type of cargo they would have carried.

Kind regards

Hunnyb22

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB22
    Grandad was called James Knott (1872-1952) and was from Winteringham, Lincolnshire. His father, Christopher, had a vessel (barge) called "Blanche" around 1871-1881.
    Is your ol' bor on the 1871 census at RG10/4705 f19 p34 (refenence to census held at TNA)?
    If so, he is shown as master of the Sheaf from Hull, 90 tons on Hull and Sheffield trade which at least tells you where he was travelling between. The vessel is on a canal.
    Some vessels are shown as 'Coal + Iron trade' or 'General Trade' - the absence of this description doesn't mean that infer he was carrying something else; it is just the information reported to the enumerator.

Local record offices sometimes have collections relating to local industries and it may be worth checking to see if one at either end of the canal has a photograph collection of vessels using this waterway. Also check to see if the is a history of the canal published anywhere.

HunnyB22

Default James Knott

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Is your ol' bor on the 1871 census at RG10/4705 f19 p34 (refenence to census held at TNA)?
    If so, he is shown as master of the Sheaf from Hull, 90 tons on Hull and Sheffield trade which at least tells you where he was travelling between. The vessel is on a canal.
    Some vessels are shown as 'Coal + Iron trade' or 'General Trade' - the absence of this description doesn't mean that infer he was carrying something else; it is just the information reported to the enumerator.

Local record offices sometimes have collections relating to local industries and it may be worth checking to see if one at either end of the canal has a photograph collection of vessels using this waterway. Also check to see if the is a history of the canal published anywhere.
    Hi...Thanks for your reply. Sorry it's taken so long to reply but I don't use this site very often. Would that be on the Hull or Sheffield 1871 census?

Yes, it is possible that great grandad was on the Hull to Sheffield route. Grandad probably took the same route when he became a lighterman because my gran was from Sheffield and that's where they married in 1894. I'll certainly check out his route and look for the photographs you mentioned.

Thanks once again.

Hunnyb22

HunnyB22

Default Watermen of Lincolnshire

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    1871 on the Masbro Canal at Azlewod(sic) Lime Kiln, Kimberworth, Masbrough

The Vessel Sheaf from the Port of Hull Tonnage 90 tons (in the Hull and Sheffield Trade)

Knott, Christopher 29 Master
    Knott, Elizabeth 32
    Knott, Christopher 4
    Hossell James 28 mate
    Hi Geoffers...Thanks for the info, yes, the above mentioned are my maternal great grandparents and gt, gt uncle. My grandad wasn't born until 1872, so he would not have been included on the list. I still haven't found the cargo they were carrying but I guess it would have been coal. Kind regards Hunnyb22