Margery

Default Baptism Record

Stowupland 1888 Sept 16th
    Mary Elizabeth Hetty Wellington daughter of John Ellis and Anna Miller

She had plenty of names to choose from!

Sue

Margery

Sorry - last post a little unclear - father was John Ellis Miller

Brilliant Margery. Hetty nearly has more names than the Queen.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just tuned in ..thank you so much Margery what a great surprise. So Pam and I were right about the mysterious "H" . Hetty was the second born child. Charles the first was Charles Edward R so Hetty was one name up on him. I wonder how she managed to get Wellington. Poor child.
    I think they ran out of names because future children appeared lucky to get just one!

Thanks again for solving the puzzle Margery/Sue! Did you find it in Stowupland Parish registers?
    Marjorie

Margery

Yes - I have some fiche of the Stowupland Parish Registers. It was worth buying them because I have several ancestors from there. The 1880s are a joy to look at but earlier stuff can be very difficult to decipher.

Just to explain about my two names - I use Margery as my user name because it is the name I use for re-enacting. I'm actually Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for that information . Interesting to hear you also have several ancestors from Stowupland.
    My grandfather William Bray LEEKS was born at the Duke of Wellington 31/1/1869.

Thanks again
    Marj.

Dargie & Margery - I am a Miller and may have some interesting background for you on Anna Scott and John Miller. Please reply if you are still on this forum and I will be happy to reply.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My Gt Grandmother's name was Hettie Thornton; this was her given name, not short for anything else and was the name she was registered with. Therefore it shouldn't be assumed to be a nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    In view of the fact that Anna's maiden name was Scott, how about Sidney William Scott MILLER, living in Ipswich in 1911? RG14 PN10821 SN186
    Married September quarter 1908 to Miriam Kathleen T. Hall. (According to the census, the 'T' stands for Towse.) One son, Norman Eustace Miller, aged 11 months.
    Census details TNA copyright.
    Seems a good match for the birth registration Christanel found.
    Pam
    Pam you are correct in this. Sidney William Scott Miller was my great grandfather , Married Miriam and their eldest child was Norman Eustace Scott Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Thank you so much Pam and Christanel.
    I have always thought that he was Anna's child but could never fnd a birth for a Sidney Scott . Of course Sidney Scott MIller would surely be him.
    You will be unlikely to find a birth certificate for Sidney Scott Miller. Sidney was born outside of wedlock to Anna Scott long before Anna Scott married John Ellis. Not only was the controversy that she bore a child outside of wedlock but within our family it is believed she was in service as a house maid to William Alexander, 9th Duke of Brandon, 12th Duke of Hamilton DOUGLAS-HAMILTON and that Sidney was the bastard child of the 12th Duke after his Lordship and Anna had a bit of a thing. John Ellis met Anna Scott some years later, married her and treated Sidney as his own child.

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/79068215/person/40412665854/facts

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/79068215/person/40394965351/facts
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 21-07-2018 at 3:49 PM. Reason: Links to commercial site deactivated as per our T&Cs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast