Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Thanks Copper..will keep for future reference

Have found a Harriet ...possibly Hetty? However born in 1887 so could not be 2 in 1891.
    Ho Hum
    Still no luck finding Sidney's birth. Charles is nowhere in 1891. Do you think the parents sometimes forgot how many children they had epecially if one was outside feeding the chooks?
    I know of at least one instance where the name of a son who had left home was written on the census instead of the name of the son who was still living at home. Plus you can never be sure of the enumerator omitting vital details.
    Pam

There is a birth for a Hilda Mary Scott, Stow S, Dec 1/4 1888 vol 4a page 710. Would Hilda work as Hetty? Mmm not really but ......

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you so much Pam and Christanel.
    I was just this minute looking at that marriage in Ipswich and wondering if it may be him. That was on Free BMD. I haven't got a sub to check out 1911 thoroughly so thanks a lot for the confirmation.
    I have always thought that he was Anna's child but could never fnd a birth for a Sidney Scott . Of course Sidney Scott MIller would surely be him.
    Thank you Christanel a fresh pair of eyes. I have no idea how i missed that as I was looking for a Sidney Scott.
    A great help ladies ,I am so pleased to solve one out of three with your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I know of at least one instance where the name of a son who had left home was written on the census instead of the name of the son who was still living at home. Plus you can never be sure of the enumerator omitting vital details. Pam
    So armed with that do you think Hetty could be herbert (herby) and the emumerator wrote dau instead of son? Clutching at straws here but the birth date fits.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a birth for a Hilda Mary Scott, Stow S, Dec 1/4 1888 vol 4a page 710. Would Hilda work as Hetty? Mmm not really but ......
    Yes I do!! now to see if I can find a death for a Hilda Miller or a Herbert Miller.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

So armed with that do you think Hetty could be herbert (herby) and the emumerator wrote dau instead of son? Clutching at straws here but the birth date fits.
    Might be a very fragile straw , as I did find a Hetty aged 12 in 1901. See post #6.
    Pam

On second thoughts John and Anna were married in 1885 so if Hilda was born in 1888 she would probably be Miller?

Pam the strangest thing. Post 6 must have crossed with mine because I had not seen it. You are a genius as I am sure that is her. I am going to have to sit back and not rush into this. Need to check out family in 1901 too. I also saw that name with the H in it and was so mad it was not written out fully as could be Hetty.

John and Anna seem to be clever at giving away their children from time to time!! I suppose with 12 children you wouldn't miss one or two. She had her last aged 42 so I guess she earned some respite. Looks like Sidney flew the nest as soon as he could!

Now to find where they parked Charles in 1891!

On second thoughts John and Anna were married in 1885 so if Hilda was born in 1888 she would probably be Miller?
    You are so right Dargie, ignore me I got my Scotts and Millers tangled.

I am the very best at "tangled"...especially at this time of night!!
    Thanks for all your help ..always!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast