Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

the medals appear to be 1914/15 star, victory medal and British war medal and sorry the family moved to Horden about 1911. His son was killed May 1915 and it was Frederick who made the claim but was abroad.

colashbury

Yer the 3 medals kinda go together. The star would have been to soldiers who actually fought in the war between 14 and 15. The two other medals received the victory medal and the British war naturally came along with that. Something to go on. Horden is around the same area 1st mentioned.......

colashbury

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1
    Why dont yer av a go at the Devonshire one and see what it comes up with. Only a couple of quid innit.......

colashbury

There was a Frederick Richard Sutton who died 1916, could he have been related in any way.....

couldnt find the medal card for the Devonshire one perhaps he was the one who died in 1916. In 1915 at his sons inquest he was recorded as on active service.

colashbury

Sent you a national archives link 3 posts up Mark. Just click on that one. Doubt if it was him who died as the medals would i imagine been collected after the war was finished..

SueNSW

Mark - if you seriously want to try to confirm his service I'd suggest going down the Ancestry path (with a free trial period maybe or the library if you are not already subscribed) so you can look at each of the actual cards and work through the many possibilities by a process of elimination as I suggested in post 6

The link Col gave is to 15786 Frederick Richard Sutton (who I mentioned earlier - as being one to rule out - we know your man survived) - who died of wounds 30/9/1916 and was born in Merton Devon according to SDGW.

For Frederick to have already been abroad as early as May 1915 he must have been a pretty early new recruit - or possibily already a part time Territorial when war broke out

It narrows down the time period considerably if you decide to investigate the local papers

Also - to clarify - for accuracy - the 1914/15 Star "was awarded to those individuals who saw service in France and Flanders from 23 November 1914 to 31 December 1915, and to those individuals who saw service in any other operational theatre from 5 August 1914 to 31 December 1915."

Cheers
    Sue

colashbury

Sorry, should have looked back to Sues earlier post. Didnt realise that it was the same guy. Think that the local papers maybe the way to go. Imagine they would have had a list of the Soldiers who fought from that area or at least the ones that returned.......

can someone see if he has a chelsea pension record. I think i have found one...but may not be him but if someone could check i would know and could pursue.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Seen that you were looking for this gentleman and his service record? Frederick Richard Sutton, did not serve in the armed forces but his father Henry Sutton did, Frederick Richard Sutton, was the father of Ethil Dodsworth nee Sutton, married to Ernest Dodsworth July 31st 1926 in Thirsk.

Henry Sutton has a service record serving first in the North Staffordshire Regiment Private Service number 8906, then transferred over to Northamptonshire Regiment Private service number 23649.

He was awarded the Victory medal, and British War Medal in 1916 he was medically discharged 07/05-1916, he also served in North Africa earning himself the "African Star" (A general service medal for completeing 12 months service)

Hope this information helps. If you want copies of his service record then contact me at;

I think that I have the same photograph of the same gentlman as you.

tonypoint1 (at) gmail.com
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 19-11-2019 at 6:02 PM. Reason: Email address deactivated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12