Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Frederick Richard Sutton...which Regiment

can any one help me trace the military record WWI of Frederick Richard Sutton. He lived at Easington in Durham having moved there from his native staffordshire about 1910. I have a photo of the gentleman , my grandfathers stepfather with his medals taken after the war, but he is wearing a suit and therefore doesnt show his regimental badge. the only Frederick Richard Sutton i can find enlisted in the Devonshire Regiment which seems a bit far fom Durham. The 1911 census shows him as aged 42 therefore he is no spring chicken to be going over the top but he did and survived. i would love to uncover more about him, so can anyone help?

There is a Fredrick Sutton in the Durham Light Infantry, single, a coach builder, mother Margaret living in Gateshead. However his age is out, born 1883 in Nottingham. He seems to have stayed in the army after the war as there are notes relating to 1932. Also a bit of a boy 'hesitating to obey an order and using obscene language to a senior officer."
    Not your man but it made interesting reading.

SueNSW

If you know he was awarded WW1 medals (and you don't now have access to them) the best place to start to find a regiment is the Medal Index Cards (NA or Ancestry)

Can you clarify what record you have found for the man in the Devonshire Regiment - if it was for no 15786 (who has a Medal Card on Ancestry) he did not survive the war. There is also a card for (Alfred) Frederick Richard Sutton in the Devons who was a pre war regular who was commissioned during the war - unfortunately there are many "Frederick Sutton"s where no middle initial was used.

A couple of observations - are you sure they are WW1 medals in the photo - could he have served as a younger man and received campaign medals (South Africa for example)

If a man was conscripted it was very possible for him not to have served in a "local" regiment - but if the age you have is accurate he was over the age for conscription - under 41 as at 15/8/1915

Also medal cards only refer to overseas service - so a man could have enlisted in a local regiment and then been transferred in a draft to another for overseas service and only the later regiment would be recorded

A further avenue to go down was if he by chance had children born during the war - his occupation on their certs might show a regiment - and if an "Absent Voters" section of the 1918 electoral roll survives for his home area - that also might show regiment

It's not quite a needle in a haystack but without a very distinctive name (and with so many WW1 service records being destroyed during the blitz) it can often be pretty tricky

Good Luck

Sue

colashbury

Hi Mark. As Sue pointed out, there are so many Frederick Suttons, yer need some sort of starting point. At least an idea of what area he was based. There were at least 4 Frederick Suttons in the Durham Light Infantry. Reg numbers 5663, 85244, 63946 and 2189. Ref number WO 372/19. Dont also be fooled in thinking that yer only based were you live. My Grandfather lived in Liverpool but worked for the R.E.M.E in Leicestershire. My kids now are in the forces. One based in Northern Ireland. The others have been all over. Germany, Southampton, Reading, Aldershot and Oxford..........Colin

Thanks for all your help. They are definately WWI medals, his only son died in a mining accident during 1915 and at the inquest he is recorded as being abroad with the army. I dont know where he was based and have been through the medal cards of Frederick Sutton and found a wide variety of Regiments. My grandfather was one of four brothers inWWI all from staffordshire and ended up in the Royal flying corps, Grimsby chums, Buckinghamshires and Duke of Wellingtons regiments so i am aware he may not have been in his local regiment but you have to start somewhere.

SueNSW

Mark - if he was overseas in 1915 (would be interested to know what time of the year) you would be able to start narrowing down the Medal Cards - as he would be entitled to the 1914/15 Star and his date of entry into theatre of war would be recorded.

If you then start to exclude those who were casualties (CWGC + "Soldiers Died in the Great War" on both FMP and Ancestry) you will have a lot less to consider

I'm sure you've thought of local papers that might have reported on the enlistment of an "older" man - especially as he was leaving a wife and young family at home - or it might have been mentioned at the time of the accident/inquest

Again - good luck with it

Cheers
    Sue

colashbury

Have you any idea what medals they were.

colashbury

Just trying to get a bit of background on him
    Could he have been born around 1866 in Hanley
    Have a Frederick living at 25 Paxton St, Hanley, Staffs
    Frederick R Sutton 35 Coal Hewer below ground
    Alice 37
    William F 15
    Alice F 10
    Minnie 6
    Ethel 1
    Frederick 5 Months
    Thomas Mason Boarder Widower about 58

colashbury

The only other suggestion I can make is, contact the National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey. TW9 4DU and see if they can help with your research. They may be able to search for him from an address, area or Parent names........

thats the family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast