Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Martha Ann BURTON

Hello.
    I'm trying to find out what happened to Martha Ann BURTON who was born in 1868 in Widford Hertfordshire. Registration district Ware. Her parents were George and Abigail Burton. Martha shows up on the 1871 and 1881 census where it states she is 13 years old and a Nursemaid. Then it seems she disappears from the face of the earth. I know it's difficult because the name is so common but, if anyone has any ideas i would love to read them I suppose there is alway's the possibility that she moved with the family she was NurseMaid to. I cannot find her on the 1891 and 1901 census.
    Regards
    Susan

RobinC

It could be possible that Martha married before the 1891 census which would have led you to believe she disappeared.

There are the following marriages on freebmd

arriages Jun 1884
    BURTON Martha Ann Birkenhead 8a 731
    William AINSCOUGH or Henry Smith

Marriages Mar 1885
    BURTON Martha Ann Thetford 4b 603
    William Mutum

Marriages Mar 1888
    BURTON Martha Annie Pontefract 9c 126
    Tom Hargrave or Robert Stafford Heptonstall

Marriages Jun 1889
    BURTON Martha Ann Islington 1b 33[14]
    Spouse unknown

There's this family in 1891 with Martha as a servant.

George K Smith 39
    Augusta M Smith 39
    Louisa Day 18
    George Day 18
    Martha Smith 21

RG12; Piece: 1106; Folio 89; Page 1 (copyright of TNA)

Reputation beyond repute

Try searching the census for any Martha Ann or Martha A or just Martha born in about 1868 in Widford HRT. There aren't many! Then try and eliminate the ones you've found.

Thanks for your replies I'll go back to the drawing board as they say. Trouble is i find it can be difficult with women as, of course they mostly change their name. Thanks again.
    Susan.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello
    You will most probably find her married to Harry BUTCHER, the latest census shows her with her husband and children + a niece Elizabeth BURTON b1886 Hunsden W Ware all living at 8/9 Beresford Square Woolwich
    RG14 PN2875 RG78PN98 TNA

And on the 1901 return RG13 / 565/73/2 same address as above her dob is 1869!TNA

geneius

Reputation beyond repute

they mostly change their name
    Hence the suggestion of omitting the surname.

If you like the look of anything you find, the birth certificate of one of the children will confirm the mother's maiden name.

I was convinced you had cracked it, but sadly the plot thickens. I found the marriage banns for Martha Ann and Harry Butcher. They state the Father for Marth Ann as John Burton not George who was her Father. I have looked for a John Burton with a daughter Martha Ann in the Widford area but have not found any. You mentioned a neice Elizabeth born Ware on the latest census. I assume you mean the 1911 which i don't have automatic access to at the moment. However i decided ( clutching at straws ) to see if this Elizabeth had a Father John. I couldn't find an Elizabeth born Ware Father John. I found an Elizabeth Anna born 1889 to Jame Burton who was a brother to my Martha Ann and another Elizabeth born 1889 to another brother of Martha Anns, John but this Elizabeth was born in St Giles London. I have known a instance where someone has put a different name as a father on there marriage certificate but i can think of a reason for it. At the time of Martha's marriage to Harry Butcher her Father George was still alive. Perhaps they weren't speaking. Oh Help.
    Susan

Reputation beyond repute

Don't let the father's name put you off until you've investigated further.

Who was Benjamin Burton?

Not sure how i could investigate further.I don't think i mentioned a Benjamin. But there was a Benjamin born 1856 Widford who was a brother of Martha Ann. This Benjamin also had a son Benjamin born about 1883 in Deptford.
    Susan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Siily question
    How do you know that George is Martha A Burton's father

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast