Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

I don't think i mentioned a Benjamin
    You didn't but didn't you find the marriage? Benjamin Burton was a witness. The evidence is building up.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I know that George is Martha Ann's father because it's listed in births and census on Ancestry. I have just had a breakthrough regarding the niece Elizabeth. I have found her. Born 1886 Hunsdon. Her parents Charles and Hannah Burton. My Martha Ann had a brother Charles who married an Hannah Bennett. The reason i didn't spot it earlier was because although i had the names of Charles and Hannah's children i hadn't picked up on Elizabeth. This Elizabeth is the only Elizabeth born for that time in Hunsdon. So i think that proves i've got the right Martha Ann. Although i'll never know why there is John for her Father instead of George.
    Regards
    Susan.

Reputation beyond repute

I know that George is Martha Ann's father because it's listed in births and census on Ancestry
    You can't reliably reach that conclusion from the census. Do you have the birth certificate?

No i don't actually have a birth certificate. I have searched for all the Martha Ann's in the Widford area for about 1868. There was only my Martha Ann with parents George and Abigail. Two were born Pirton and had different parents and one was born 1864, also had different parents. None of them had John as a Father. The birth and christening records both show George and Abigail as the parents, apart from the census.
    Susan

No, someone else found the marriage of Martha Ann and Harry Butcher. The witness's were Florence and an Alfred Burton. Martha had a sister and a brother with those names. I also looked into Elizabeth the neice who was on the 1911 census. She was born 1868 Hunsdon. I looked at my records and found an Elizabeth same date with parents Charles and Hannah Burton. Charles and Hannah were brother and sister-in-law to Martha Ann. So Elizabeth must be their daughter. There was no other Elizabeth born around that time in Hunsdon.
    Susan

My apologies Peter you are right Benjamin was a witness to Martha Ann's and Harry's wedding. I said Florence and Alfred . Must have been looking at another marriage certificate. Martha had a brother Benjamin who had moved from Hertfordshire to Deptford.
    Sorry about the confusion.
    Susan

Just to let you know Peter that i have found one Martha Annie Burton who's Father was John but she was born about 1870 at Ring End Wisbech Cambridgeshire. As far as i can make out she married at Holbeach in 1891. So i'm sure i've got the right one even though the Father's name doesn't match up. And Especiall as Widford and Wisbech are miles apart.
    What do you think.?
    Susan

Reputation beyond repute

If you've got either the birth certificate or the baptism record and have eliminated any 'competitors' I would be inclined to say you've got the right one.

Yes i think i've been as thorough as i can be. I've looked for Martha Ann's in the Widford area and the only one is mine. Two other Martha Ann's were born Pirton 1868 but no Father George or John. I found one other born 1864 but no Father John or George. The neice Elizabeth staying with Martha in 1911 was born 1886 Hunsdon. I've checked and no other Elizabeth was born at that time except to a Charles and Hannah Burton. Martha did have a Brother and Sister-in-Law called Chaarles and Hannah. And their daughter Elizabeth is missing off the 1911 census. Also on Martha's marriage certificate a witness was Benjamin Burton and Martha had a brother Benjamin who moved from Hertfordshire to Deptford. As i said i did find one other Martha Annie Burton born 1870 at Ring End Wisbech. Father John. But she married a William Stitch in 1891 at Sutton Bridge, registration district Holbeach.
    I do have the Baptism details for Martha Parents George and Abigail. so i'm sure i've got the right one regardless of the difference of Father's name. But i want to thank you for all your help and apologise for being a pain.
    Susan

I know it is 9 years ago you put this post in but my great great grandparents where George and Abigail burton,my family line comes from Francis j Burton born 1862 in widford also had brother named Benjamin And a sister Martha so if you are related to Martha then we are distant relatives if you like to know please do ask

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12