Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPBeds

What's the relevance of the link to BFHS ? I can see no pointers to the BHRS volume I left a link to

https://www.
    bedfordshirehrs.org.uk/ItemDetails.aspx?VolumeID=36

gratescove

Hi Diane, I am chasing Thomas Gosticks too. My ancestor is Joseph Gostick 1786-1855 who according to the 1851 census for London was born in Sharnbrook Beds. His brother was Reverend Thomas Gostick 1789-1868, who emigrated to Canada in the 1830's. I have seen a lot about this family on Gostwick/Gostick family tree sites, but I believe I have broken a brick wall which others don't seem to mention.

I have determined that Joseph and Thomas' parents were Thomas Gostick and Sarah Huckle who married in Bedford St. Paul in 1784. My proof comes by way of Examinations for Settlement dated 1784 and 1785 and a Removal orders for Thomas and his family from Bedford to Sharnbrook dated 1790. Both examinations are similar. They say that Thomas was born 1763 (calculated from his age and the year of the doc) and that his wife is named Sarah. he is a Shoemaker. It says that his father is named Isaac of STANION, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, who is "legally settled" there. It says that Thomas was born in Stanion. He is leasing property for £10 in total. There are also court records (which I have ordered) that says Thomas was in jail for a year in 1789 for beating somebody named Negus (same surname as his landlord). When he gets out of jail, the Removal order has them being sent to Sharnbrook. The eureka moment was that the Order names his 2 children as Joseph aged about 3 and one half and Thomas aged about one and one quarter. Given the doc date of mid May 1790, this would make Thomas born mid Feb 1789. The stated birthdate of Rev. Thomas Gostick which I have seen on line is March 14, 1789. That's close enough to convince me!

So, while the census says Joseoh was born in Sharnbrook, I believe he was actually born in Bedford (as was His brother Thomas). He likely didn't even know it himself. That would explain why they don't show up in the Sharnbrook Records. Alas, I cannot find their baptisms in Bedford. They seem to be "independent" church goers, not sure where I can get my hands on non -conformist records for Bedford.

The life story of Rev Thomas says that his parents left him in the care of a relative when he was 3 and they moved to London to find work. This would be 1792. Since his father Thomas had just gotten out of jail, no wonder. It says he joined his family when he was 5. This is how my ancestor Joseph ended up in London, where he became a law clerk. His grandson adware Gostick emigrated to Canada.

I have noted lots of Thomas, Joseph and Isaacs and a connection to shoemaker/cordwainers in the Stanion and Bedford records. I was contemplating if there is a connection to Carlton, because maybe I have seen Gostick shoemakers there? I Had wondered if this is where the boys were left before the move to London.

Haven't figured it all out yet, but thought you might be interested in my Thomas born 1763. His father was Isaac, who although
    He was living in Stanion, having "settled" there, his roots seem to be Sharnbrook, Beds.

Would welcome comparing notes with you, particularly the will you mention.

Susan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12