Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Diane R

Default GOSTICKS/GOSTWICKS OF BEDFORDSHIRE

This is my first posting to this county forum. My husband's maternal family have brought us here in 1750. As it is a relatively small family we decided to try and put together the whole tree, which we think links back to the Gostwick family of Willington, Bedfordshire. We have the parish fiches for CARLTON from 1770, but only one branch of the family seems to be baptising their children at the parish church. Through the copy of a will another branch is connected with The old Meeting house known as Baptist in Carlton. We have failed to trace any records from this non-conformist church and have several Thomas Gosticks who cannot be fitted into the tree.
    There are 2 Thomas Gosticks in Carlton on the 1841 census and also a marriage of a Thomas Gostick, widower to Elizabeth Caves 1840 in Carlton. They had a son Charles born 2 years later, so this Thomas and Elizabeth should appear on the 1841. Unfortunately the age given on the marriage certificate is "full age". If anyone has any knowledge of the records of the Old Meeting House known as Baptist or can help with parents of any Thomas Gosticks 1750-1840, it would help shift a brickwall.
    Thank you
    Diane R

Jan1954

Hello Diane,

Have you visited the Carlton with Chellington website at: carltonwithchellington.co.uk/village_history.htm (put www. in front)? It provides some history of the Baptist Meeting House (as well a a photograph) and states:

"The Carlton Baptist Meeting was first granted a licence to hold services in a barn at Fishers Farm belonging to a William Brown, who was married to John Bunyan’s daughter, Sarah. The first chapel was built in 1760AD....."

It goes on to say that, "Baptist meetings ceased to be held in 2001, with the cemetery being made over for safe keeping to the Carlton and Chellington Parish Council in 2002" Perhaps a line to the Parish Council could help?

You may also find the book My Ancestors Were Baptists to be of assistance.

Diane R

Thank you so much for information and quick reply , which we shall now follow up and let you know of any success.
    Diane R

JPBeds

Hello, I have been looking recently at the Burbidges of Carlton/Chellington. Do you have a Hannah Goswick, baptised 12/4/1789, daughter of John & Mary; who married John Burbidge at Carlton on 15/04/1811, in your tree. Regards John

Diane R

At present the tree is in 3 parts. With most of the family meeting with the new Baptist Chapel in Carlton from about 1760, we have not been able to be sure where they all fit in. Thomas and John are very common names and so there are several each generation. I have looked in the three trees and no John and Mary at all, mostly John and Elizabeth, although Hannah is a common family Christian name for the girls. It is possible we are missing a "John" if he is not in parish records and does not appear in any will or census. Do you have any other information on Hannah?

Diane R
    Never give up the search

plumtreed

Hello Diane,
    Just of passing interest: Gostwyck is a very small hamlet in New South Wales and has a chapel of the same name. Search for 'Uralla' for details.

Diane R

Thanks that is really interesting as we have just had some info from the Carlton and Chellington Historical Society and they quoted from an book that Gostick/Gostwicks are throught to have taken their surname from a small now extinct village in Bedfordshire called Gostwycke and earliest recording is 1292 of William de Gostwycke. Later one of the family were given a baronetcy of Willington, Bedfordshire.
    This is a great place to be educated!
    Thanks
    Diane R

JPBeds

Only what I've gleaned from the Carlton and the Chellington parish records & the IGI. Hannah Gostwick was baptised Carlton on 12 Apr 1789, daughter of John & Mary. A John & Mary also baptised a William Gostwick at Chellington on 26 June 1791. This ties in with marriage at Chellington on 29 Nov 1788 of John Gostwick of Chellington to Mary Stonebanks of Carlton. Plus the burial of Mary wife of John Gostwick, labourer on 3 Dec 1792 at Chellington.

There is a marriage of John Gostwick of Chellington to Elizabeth Franklin on 17 May 1793 at Carlton, but it does not say he was a widower; & then there are baptisms of children to John & Elizabeth Gostwick at Carlton; Mary on 31 Aug 1794 and Elizabeth on 22 Aug 1802 (she was buried 3/11/1802)

Regards John
    Keep Searching (We'll follow the sun) Del Shannon 1965

plumtreed

Hello Diane,

From what I have read, this area was settled by Edward Gostwyck Cory, (1797-1873), son of John Cory and Mary Gostwyck. He was the grandson of Sir William Gostwyck(e) of Willington which you mention.(Australian Biography, ANU) Would these be the parents referred to in John's message above? Another webpage, www.thomasl.com may be of interest as well because it mentions ongoing connections with England. I haven't been to Gostwyck for a while but it's very picturesque and quite historic, being one of the earliest land grants in that district. Good luck with the search, Mary

JPBeds

The Beds Historical Records Society published 'The Gostwicks of Willington' BHRS vol 36; avaliable at Bedford library.

Bedfordshire Family History Society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast