Hi. I am now tracing my late mother in laws family and have a few stumbling blocks. She was edith potter b 1899 Stockport. Her maternal grandmother was Elizabeth Done b 1844 Stockport. This family was supposed to be linked to the Dones of utkinton whose coat of arms is in the NatWest bank in Stockport- this was originally one of the Done family's homes. The earliest dones I have found in Stockport seem to have come from leek in staffordshire about the 1790's. My sister in law cannot remember the place on the way to Cheshire where her mother says theDones came from/
Another problem is that Elizabeth Done married a Samuel Haig Jacksonb1836 at Norbury in 1874. I cannot find her on 1871 census nor can find any trace of Samuel and his father James. Samuel was supposed to be a Russian jewish musician with connections to the Manchester jewish commuinty and also to have attended some sort of music academy in the Stockport area. I presume the family must have changed name as cannot find them anywhere. Samuel does not appear on 1881 census- I have a possible death for him in 1875 and for Elizabeth in 1885.
There only seems to have about 4 Done families in the Strockport area so would love to hear from anyoine with Done or Jackson connections.