margaret bird

Default Done /Jackson Families

Hi. I am now tracing my late mother in laws family and have a few stumbling blocks. She was edith potter b 1899 Stockport. Her maternal grandmother was Elizabeth Done b 1844 Stockport. This family was supposed to be linked to the Dones of utkinton whose coat of arms is in the NatWest bank in Stockport- this was originally one of the Done family's homes. The earliest dones I have found in Stockport seem to have come from leek in staffordshire about the 1790's. My sister in law cannot remember the place on the way to Cheshire where her mother says theDones came from/
    Another problem is that Elizabeth Done married a Samuel Haig Jacksonb1836 at Norbury in 1874. I cannot find her on 1871 census nor can find any trace of Samuel and his father James. Samuel was supposed to be a Russian jewish musician with connections to the Manchester jewish commuinty and also to have attended some sort of music academy in the Stockport area. I presume the family must have changed name as cannot find them anywhere. Samuel does not appear on 1881 census- I have a possible death for him in 1875 and for Elizabeth in 1885.
    There only seems to have about 4 Done families in the Strockport area so would love to hear from anyoine with Done or Jackson connections.

bumblebee

What was Elizabeth's parents names? is she the Elizabeth in Brinnington with parents Robert and Martha in 1851? If so a widowed Martha with Elizabeth is in Brinnington in 1871 although the ages are at odds with the 1861 census.

Bumblebee

margaret bird

Hello Bumblebee. thanks for your info. Her parents were Robert done and Martha Platt. I hadn't found Martha or Elizabeth on the 1871 census so will check it out. 1851 and 1861 the family were in brinnington so the entry you found might match up.Martha died in 1877. elizabeth married in 1874 at a church the opposite end of Stockport with address in Bosden which is near the church she married in.I thought Elizabeth died in 1885 but have since found her on the 1901 census after learning she had a second child Lily in 1886 which is odd as the only death entry for her husband Samuel Haig Jackson was 1875. I'll have to send for that certificate when I come back off holiday to make sure it is the right family. There were 2 Done families in Stockport with a Martha and an Elizabeth which complicates matters. Regards. Margaretr

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

There is an active FHS in the area of your research, ncfhs.org.uk ( prefix www.) who may be able to assist reference the DONE'S

Is this your Elizabeth JACKSON nee DONE family?
    1881 RG11; Piece: 3479; Folio: 138; Page: 24
    5 Froggatts Ct Edgeley Stockport
    HIGHTON Thomas 55 m H w/house man
    HIGHTON Lucy 46 W
    JACKSON Elizabeth 36 m lodger cotton op
    JACKSON Lucy 5 lodger

All born Stockport

This may be a total RED HERRING
    I checked Cheshirebmd.org.uk ( prefix www.) and found this birth entry
    Could Samuel Haigh JACKSON b 1870 Stockport be a member of the family...

The family can be found at
    1851 census HO107; Piece: 2155; Folio: 345; Page: 15
    1861 census RG9; Piece: 2567; Folio: 59; Page: 22 21 Mersey St Edgeley
    1871 census RG10; Piece: 3665; Folio: 68; Page: 45 Brinnington / Portwood
    1881 RG11; Piece: 3479; Folio: 140; Page: 27
    8 Lambs CT Edgeley
    JACKSON Samuel 1837 married Engine fitter Stockport ( Married BUT no wife shown?)
    JACKSON Samuel H 1870 JACKSON
    Jane 1872

These children have the mother with the name WORSENCROFT/WOOLSTENCROFT
    married Samuel Jackson = Sarah WOLSTENCROFT 1866/1870 Stockport

Was Samuel married twice?

margaret bird

Hi Genius. thanks for replying.The Elizabeth Done/jackson you found is th right one but not the Samuel Haigh Jackson. He was an engine fitter b 1837 and married Elizabeth in 1874. I can't find him on any census and thought he died in 1875- not yet sent for this certificate. have since found birth and census details for a second daughter Lily b 1886 so 1875 death does not seem probable unless he was not lily's father. Will have to send for her birth cert as well.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Hello

1881 RG11; Piece: 3479; Folio: 140; Page: 27
    8 Lambs CT Edgeley
    JACKSON Samuel 1837 married Engine fitter Stockport ( Married BUT no wife shown?)
    JACKSON Samuel H 1870
    JACKSON Jane 1872

These children have the mother with the name WORSENCROFT/WOOLSTENCROFT
    married Samuel Jackson = Sarah WOLSTENCROFT 1866/1870 Stockport

Was Samuel married twice?
    Is this the Samuel JACKSON in 1881 he states he is married but has no wife shown...is this because she is at Froogetts court Edgeley?

geneius

margaret bird

Hi Genius. I've found these entries as well and thought Samuel and Elizabeth were living apart. If mother of Samuel H and Jane was a worsencroft perhaps Samuel was a bigamist but doubtful. The funny thing is this Jackson family had children born in Russia which would fit in with family lore. have sent for 2 birth and 2 death certificates which might help solve the problem. Births of Lucy and Lily and deaths of Elizabeth and a Samuel of the right age. Will mlet you know what they say. regards. margaret