sensei

Default Chapel Street, Littleham Baker

I am looking for information on Thomas Toby who in the 1881 census was listed as a master baker. He was born in 1841 and was married to Mary Cox (b. 1843) in 1863.The bakery was on Chapel Street, Littleham, Devon. Particularly, I am trying to trace farther back on this line. Thanks for any assisatnce.

Jan1954

Hello sensei - welcome to Brit-Gen

Are you working on Thomas' year of birth from the 1881 census rather than birth certificates?

Although he is listed as aged 40 on that census, and born in Sidmouth, there is a birth registration for a Thomas Toby in the Honiton district (which covered Sidmouth) in the September quarter of 1839, volume 10, page 113. That certificate should name his parents and thus help you to get back further.

However, you will also need Thomas and Mary's marriage certificate (Totnes district, September quarter, volume 5b, page 323) so that you have Thomas' father's name to maybe help to trace him back through the censuses.

If you are not sure how to obtain certificate copies, please ask.

sensei

Default Marriage certificate- Toby

Thanks for your reply. I am new to this forum. I would appreciate your address on obtaining the marriage certificate for Thomas Toby and Mary Cox.

Jan1954

Hello again,

If you visit the GRO website, you will be able to order the certificate online. Just follow the links.

There is a bit of a backlog at the moment, so you may need to be a little patient.