Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RobinC

Default New windows opening on their own!

I think that I've obtained a virus of some description as new windows keep opening of their own accord. I have got AVG and am running a scan on my computer but can't think why this is happening as I haven't been to any websites which have been flagged as dangerous.

RobinC

I've just done a scan which has finished and has stated that there is no infection on the computer.

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Are you using a wirless keyboard and mouse?
    A couple of weeks ago I had a problem with the drop down menus appearing for no accord, and some pages appearing. After following the normal methods of what the problem could be trying an old keyboard and mouse (cable type) it turned out it was a fault on the keyboard it must have been transmitting a faulty signal. Replaced the keyboard and mouse with new one and have had no problems since.

Just a thought

RobinC

Thanks for your reply, Geoff.

I should have put that I am using a laptop so hopefully the keyboard isn't a problem as the windows open sporadically.

Reputation beyond repute

Windows associated with what program? Internet Explorer windows (I bet you're using MS Windows)? Spreadsheet windows? Windows Explorer windows?

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Windows associated with what program? Internet Explorer windows (I bet you're using MS Windows)? Spreadsheet windows? Windows Explorer windows?
    Sorry Peter,

I mean Windows Explorer windows.

Reputation beyond repute

I mean Windows Explorer windows.
    That is weird. You do mean Windows Explorer which is the file manager and not Internet Explorer which is an internet browser?

MarkJ

I would download and run a malware remover, such as Lavasofts Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. Not all malware is viruses or trojans - and some of the other problems are not always detected by anti virus software.

Do these "windows" contain anything - websites or DOS commands for example? If they are just the Windows Explorer windows, then I would suspect a sticking key or something, but if they are Internet Explorer windows (the browser) and contain websites which are opening without your control, then run one - or both if you like - of the programs I mentioned.
    Be careful to ensure you download the correct programs - there are some fake, similarly named files out there which will not do the job and probably actually cause more problems!

Mark

RobinC

I mean Windows Internet Explorer and as Mark says, the windows contain websites which are opening without my control. I have downloaded a program called Malwarebytes which also ran a scan and appears to have done the trick as it found 3 infected objects.

I searched "internet windows keep opening" and someone suggested Malwarebytes in the answers to a query by someone who had the same problem.

MarkJ

Ideal. Malwarebytes is in the same sort of role as Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster etc. They are excellent additions to any Windows users armoury and will usually pick up and remove stuff which an AV program doesn't. The good thing is that they can be added alongside your AV program (running two AV programs on a computer is not a good idea) - in fact, you can install these spyware removal tools side by side if you so desire without issues (certainly Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware run happily together and one will often pick up a bit of junk the other misses!)

The main thing is that the junk is hopefully gone

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast