Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    janismccahill

Default BRINTON of Alcester and Edgbaston

Hi,
    I am searching for any information on Richard Brinton who married Susannah Petford 12 Jun 1797 in Alcester, Warwickshire. They had a son Richard in circa 1812. I would like to find any information on the ancestors or descendants of this couple. I know they had one son Richard Corbett Brinton who married Mary Harriet Dewson and lived in Edgaston. They were coal and iron merchants.
    Thanks,
    Janis

Brick wall demolition expert!

From the IGI
    RICHARD BRINTON
    Spouse: SUSANNA PETFORD
    Marriage: 12 JUN 1797 Alcester, Warwick
    Batch M035451

RICHARD CORBETT BRINTON
    Birth: 07 APR 1812 Cannon Street Meeting House-Baptist, Birmingham, Warwick
    Father: RICHARD BRINTON
    Mother: SUSANNAH
    Batch C093031

These confirm what you have detailed but you need to do a number of things.

Research these batches as I assume they moved from Alcester to Birmingham

This might help
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....m/~hughwallis/

Looking at the parish records may yield quite a lot more information.

As they were in business have you looked for wills. These can be very useful.

birdlip

Hi Janis,

the IGI also has Mary BRINTON 19 Dec 1802 Cannon St Meeting House-Birmingham, parents Richard BRINTON and Susannah, so this dates their move from Alcester to B'ham quite early in their marrriage.

Surely there are more children? Since they were Baptists, I had a look on The National Archives BMD Registers. Mary and Richard Corbett are both there, but I couldn't see any others. I did see this though;

Susannah BRINTON Burial 1814 Worcestershire. Husband/Father: Richard [RG4 2067]

You have to pay to see the full entry, but I'd say this is Susannah the mother's death.

birdlip

IGI also has one other BRINTON couple with children whose births were recorded at the same Baptist Chapel in Birmingham; Walter BRINTON and Eliza, who had

Martha Leonard BRINTON b 3 Aug 1820
    Eliza Rudder BRINTON b 11 Aug 1822

I think its worth making a note of Walter. It's quite likely he'll turn out to be related, he could even be an elder son of Richard and Susannahs. The girls middle names..Leonard and Rudder seem to be surnames as middle names, and they're always handy when you're trying to find connections.

Then on BMD Registers there is this;

Eliza BRINTON Burial 1823 Worcestershire. Husband/father: Walter [RG4 3115]

Again, you have to pay to see the full entry, but it looks like the same couple.

birdlip

If Eliza's burial above is his wife (it could be the child) then this marriage from IGI may be a remarriage for the same Walter;

Walter BRINTON m Jemima WILKES 07 Jul 1825 Ashton Juxta Birmingham Worcestershire [Batch M011681]

Too many ifs and maybes! But worth keeping a note of, in case they fit into the puzzle along the way.

cheers birdlip

birdlip

That was ASTON not ASHTON sorry, slip of the finger...

birdlip

and Warwickshire not Worcestershire! Time to go to bed I think!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Don’t know if these snippets are of any use.
    There seem to be two Richard Brintons, (other than the son) unless he had two occupations . One ( the non-coal dealer) of them turned his business over to (his son?) Walter Brinton in the 1820s. I have separated the two.
    In Wrightsons directory

1819 & 1823 Brinton Richard, Exeter-row
    1829 Brinton Richard, coal merchant and dealer,19, Exeter-row
    The coal dealers then seem to disappear.

1815 Brinton Richard, pork butcher, Spiceal-street
    1819 & 1823 Brinton R. original pork shop, Spiceal-street
    1829 Brinton. Walter, pork and bacon warehouse,5, Spiceal-st.
    1833 Brinton Walter, pork and bacon warehouse,3, Spiceal-st
    1839 Brinton Jane, pork butcher, Spiceal street

janismccahill

Default BRINTON

Thank you so much for all your great help. This is really starting to put the family together. I will definately check out the resources you suggested. I am researching from Canada so I'm not familiar with all the British resources. This is really great.
    Thanks so much.
    Janis

janismccahill

Hi Birdlip,
    Thanks so much for all the information and the sources. This sounds like the family I'm looking for. I will follow up on your suggestions and see where it leads. This does a lot to confirm the information I have. Thanks very much for your help.
    All the best,
    Janis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast