melsibob

Default Mary Ann Mellors 1881

I am trying to find Mary Ann Mellors nee Garlow (c1832) in Hull on 1881 census. At this time she was married to George Henry Mellors and they had 8 children between them - most of whom had married by this point and moved on. Those still too young were Alfred Herbert Mellors (1876), Kate Emma Mellors (1868). By 1881 Mary and George had separated. The family seem to orginate and lived mostly in the Sculcoates and Myton area of Hull although they did eventually move to Grimsby. George Henry was a Blacksmith. Can anyone find Mary, Alfred and Kate Mellors on 1881 census? I have looked on A......y but can't find them anywhere!

janbooth

Could this perhaps be Kate in Newington, Hull in the 1881:

RG11/4751, folio 17, page 28
    Chapel Terrace, Carston Street

Kate MELLOWS Servant 14 Nurse Girl Yorks Hull

Living in the household of an Annie HAMMOND, Laundry Worker.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

RG11/4777 f 17 p 28 (© National Archives)

melsibob

Thanks Peter - this has raised another couple of questions - on all other census Mary is shown as being born in Hull - not Stockport, this census provides detail of Henry b 1863 - but he is not with the family in 1871 and I have not spotted him elsewhere (although I wouldn't have been looking for him becuase I didn't know he existed), Eliza (Elizabeth) age is also 10 years out in 1881 - but otherwise the detail matches with what I have proven elsewhere. I need to go away and think about this.

engineer23

Default Mary Ann Mellors

I have photograph which I've scanned of the headstone of Mary Ann Mellors, G H Mellors (Husband) and G W Mellors who died at sea if you send me your email address I will forward it to you. I can't work out how to get it attached to this email. They are relatives of mine although I'm not sure of where the headstone is but it is either in Hull or Grimsby cemetery

Regards

My email address is wboldock AT aol DOT com
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 05-12-2011 at 2:49 PM. Reason: disguised email address to prevent spammers

melsibob

Yes I have seen the thread notanotherminer!

Actually I have a photograph of the headstone and have visited the site. The grave is in Scartho Road Cemetry, Grimsby. Happy to exchange information if you want to contact me by private message engineer 23

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I realise this question was asked years ago but I’m interested in contacting anyone who is related to Mary Ann Mellors. Mary was my 2xgreat grandmother. I visited her grave a couple of weeks ago and have just found out how she died, which explains the engraving on the gravestone.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Yorkshiregirl.
    Unfortunately the original poster melsibob is no longer a member of BG as indicated by the word 'Guest' under her user name so we do not hold any contact information for them.
    You could try sending engineer23 a message using the email address they gave in post#5. Hopefully they are still using this address but worth a try.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    The inquest into Mary's death appeared in the Hull Daily Mail, 1 Jun 1898. Kate Emma gave evidence.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"