Greetings to all:

I have been working on the Savage family for the past four months (among other things) and need a leg up - if someone has good ideas.

I am doing a detailed report on a will for John Newburgh (P.C.C. 20 Legge). One of his sisters was married to a Mr. Savage. John Newburgh was b. ca. 1405 and died 1485. From his sister's union with Mr. Savage came the children (niece and nephew) Elizabeth Savage who was a Nun at Tarrent, and a son named John to whom John Newburgh bequeathed 40s. I am assuming because of the naming pattern that the father's name was probably John Savage, though it is not mentioned in the will, and neither was the first name of the woman who was John Newburgh's sister. So all I have are the names of the issue.

I am finding that this Newburgh family was deeply involved in politics of the time and were M.P.'s and Lancastrians. They were also later associated through the Carents with the Tudors.

The only Savage that I have found that seems to fit the bill is a John Savage (of which there are dozens). Some reports have him as a trusted ally of King Henry VII. Some reports say he was killed in the seige of Boulogne 1491. There is no marriage shown for him, so I wondered if his children were base - and the niece and nephew of John Newburgh. The information found in the DNB vol. 17 p. 839, names him or another as ascending to Bishop of Rochester in 1492. (after his untimely demise. ) I am scratching my head on this one. All the others in Maccelsfield don't seem to fit. Any ideas?

Sue