Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JillianR

Hi Kellie

There was a Georgina Matilda Green born in London in 1834 but I haven't been able to trace her to Australia. John Fow could also have been John Fox, so I've given up on this pair. John Foy however, was born in London, and his grandfather came to England from Ireland. Many of the Foys in London were Irish. Before that, the name came from France. I've seen the chinese ones, too, usually something like Ah Foy.

I also wondered if Matilda was using an alias to cover up the fact that she was still married to Stanton. Guess I'm still curious!!!!!

Jillian

JillianR

Smile

Hi Everyone

My curiosity got the better of me and I sent for a transcription of the John FOW and Georgina Matilda GREEN marriage, which arrived today. It's definitely John FOY, it's very light on details as you would expect, no ages, no parents, both living in Union St Woolloomooloo. I don't know if they ever did live there, I have various addresses around inner Sydney so it's possible. Or made up.

What convinced me that it is them is when I researched the minister, Bishop the Reverend Dr. William Francis Xavier Bailey of the Free Church of England, at his residence 41 Burton St, which seems to be on the corner with Palmer St Darlinghurst. You can read about him here
    https://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010045b.htm but the short version is that he was an ex convict who set up a Free Church "marriage shop" and was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment in 1871 for improperly marrying a minor. His congregation was described as "neither large nor respectable". Bingo! A bigamous marriage, an assumed name....a dodgy minister.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Foy/Fortescue

Quote Originally Posted by JillianR View Post
    Hi Everyone

My curiosity got the better of me and I sent for a transcription of the John FOW and Georgina Matilda GREEN marriage, which arrived today. It's definitely John FOY, it's very light on details as you would expect, no ages, no parents, both living in Union St Woolloomooloo. I don't know if they ever did live there, I have various addresses around inner Sydney so it's possible. Or made up.

What convinced me that it is them is when I researched the minister, Bishop the Reverend Dr. William Francis Xavier Bailey of the Free Church of England, at his residence 41 Burton St, which seems to be on the corner with Palmer St Darlinghurst. You can read about him here
    https://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010045b.htm but the short version is that he was an ex convict who set up a Free Church "marriage shop" and was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment in 1871 for improperly marrying a minor. His congregation was described as "neither large nor respectable". Bingo! A bigamous marriage, an assumed name....a dodgy minister.

Hi Jillian R - I am just wondering if you are still active on here? I just stumbled accross this and it is very interesting to me. I am descendant from this line and would love to know if you have any further info
    Thanks
    Jac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12