Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JillianR

Default John FOY and Matilda FORTESCUE

I’m tracing the line of John Foy, born 1847 in London. I don’t have his arrival, or his first marriage . I’ve had a search done of passenger lists at Qld Archives by a staff member but that only turned up the wrong John Foy.

(Georgina) Matilda Fortescue and husband Richard Alfred Stanton came to Brisbane with 3 children between 1863 and 1865. Richard was a bricklayer and as such would have had free passage to work on the railway tunnels near Ipswich for the Qld Government. One child died there. John Foy was also a bricklayer.

On 25 May 1866 Richard Stanton sailed Brisbane to Sydney on the “Lady Bowen”.
    On 5 July 1866 John Foy and Mrs Foy sailed Brisbane to Sydney on the “Telegraph”.

Matilda gave birth to a son (Henry James) on 21 Feb 1867 registered as Stanton, father Alfred. Later he used the name Foy. Another son, Thomas, registered Foy, father John, was born 3rd May 1869 and information provided by mother states: Marriage 1866 Sydney, (nothing on BDM) previous issue 1 boy living. John’s age given as 28 so he’s added 6yrs when he met Matilda, or when he left London. (This trend continued with future wives, the age went up or down accordingly.)

Matilda’s death cert (info from Ancestry tree and would have been provided by John Foy) states she married John Foy in 1867 in Queensland. Have been unable to contact the owner of this tree, who noted she was unable to find a marriage in Queensland.

Would like to find John’s arrival in Australia and understand why Henry was registered Stanton after the mother’s supposed 2nd marriage. I don’t expect to find marriage or divorce records for any of the above as John and Matilda disagree on where and when they were married! Perhaps they also disagreed on whose child Henry was? The rest of John’s life doesn’t get any less interesting, or the stories that have been handed down.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, any thoughts welcome.
    Best wishes
    Jillian

Hugh Thompson

Hello Jillian, there's only two marriages for Foy that I can find in the Queensland indexes between 1850 and 1870,
    Antony Frederick Foy married Mary Anne Quinn in1865, and Edward Foy married Cyntha Angelina Arnold in 1866.
    There are some more if you extend the year range.
    Hugh.
    Queensland BMD index address below

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

JillianR

Thanks Hugh......I don't suppose divorces were available in the camps along the railway line, either. They did have a church, though. Any no one to say a 19yr old wasn't 26 when he was so far from home. Fun times.

Nannas

Hiya,
    Do you know John FOY's parents names to try and match him on passenger lists??

Kellie

JillianR

Hi Kellie

His parents didn't come out here, they both died later in England. Just for the record though they were Thomas FOY and Caroline Amelia BANNISTER. The Queensland Emigration Office in London had an agent hiring workers for the construction of the railway from Ipswich to Toowoomba at this time. He was Henry JORDAN and they used the ships of the Black Ball Line to get them all out here for free. I guess they advertised in the paper in London? Wonder how to find out who they hired, there were thousands of them over a few years.

Thanks
    Jillian

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

In my experience with my own family lines, if there is disagreement between birth certificates on the dates and/or place of a marriage, and it cannot be found in the records, then it most likely never happened. Henry's birth registration would be based on what she told the registrar, and might have been done to that way make him legitimate. Alfred might have known nothing about it. One of my felllows registered the birth of one of his kids as a child of his marriage, and this was ten years after their last legit child. When he died this girlfriend was his wife, and she remarried with his surname, but they had never been married as his real wife was still alive. When the real wife died, this fourth child was not on her death certifcate, but was named on her husbands and the real mother's death. Another lass had five children after her husband died, but they had his surname, some changing to their real father's surname and back again over the course of their life.

Have you discounted the death, 14 Feb 1864, of Alfred Stanton? Queensland 1864/000538
    Has anyone found his death and compared what children are listed on that?
    If he had already died, then it might have been John Foy that was still married.
    ChristineR

Nannas

Hiya,
    Here I go...
    I think John FOY was screwed up on BDM--( OR they must have just changed last names to hide) but NSW has a marriage 1870 for John FOW to Georgina Matilda GREEN. There are no births to a John FOW at all in NSW. The children listed to John FOY and Georgina are Thomas 1869, Caroline 1871 and Matilda 1879.(on a quick look)
    ((In 1896 there is a marriagr for a Richard A STANTON to Lucy E COLLINS.))

Matildas death cert didn't neccessarily have to be filled in by her huband John..Maybe one of the kids filled in and guessed a marriage date approx a year before Henry's birth...On the birth certs of her children I can imagine they lied about the date,,not wanting the children (or others) to know they were illegitimate..

Gosh, I didn't think there would be so many John FOY's...hahaha,,how frustrating...

Nannas

JillianR

Thankyou Ladies for your thoughts. The tree of the Stanton descendent says that Richard Alfred remarried in 1866 in NSW to Mary A Curtis nee Rodgers (which I can't find) and they had 2 children Richard Alfred 1868 and Rose Caroline 1870 both in NSW before moving to Victoria. So I didn't even consider a death in Qld but that's an interesting idea. OK I haven't looked for the kids...Christine I think you might be right about Matilda using her first husband's name to make the baby legitimate, that seems to indicate that there was no marriage to John Foy. And Kellie, you found the children who were registered but I haven't found births for Edward who died 1935 Burwood, and John who died 1878 Waterloo age 7 months. Well that one's easy to work out.

Best wishes
    Jillian

JillianR

Hi

I've just had a look at that 1870 marriage John Fow and Georgina Matilda Green. I'll accept Fow is Foy but can anyone think of a reason for Green? Could they have taken it from a witness by mistake? Georgina Matilda can't be all that common, surely. Very tempting to get a transcript of this one.

Jillian

Nannas

Hiya,,,
    You check,,,,
    There is no NSW births for children to John FOW,,,,no death for him or his wife,,,,,no nothing..
    They prolly picked names that would not......or could not be traced..
    FOY was chinese.....so who would trace an English man with the name of FOY
    GREEN was so common,,,,,try looking for a GREEN or a BROWN back them...
    Pick names that could never be traced if you were doing something illegal

Nannas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast