Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnmilt

Default Brig Gen William Bodle, BSAP

Hi,
    I am trying to find information on Brigadier General William Bodle of the British South Africa Police. He served during the Boer War (approx 1900). Does anybody have information on William Bodle?

Thanks

Mark

Terry Reeves

Mark

This from the 1925 issue of Who's Who:

Brigadier-General William Bodle - CMG 1900

born 5 July 1855; son of C Bodle, Alfriston, Sussex. Served Basuto War under Sir F Carrington (medal and clasp); Matable War 1893 (medal) ; Matable Rebellion 1896 (clasp) South African War , 1899-1902 (despatches) Queen's Medal three clasps, King's Medal, two clasps; retired with rank of Colonel 1909. Served European War 1914-1918, commanded a Brigade.

He appears to have been commissioned into the Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Terry Reeves
    Last edited by Terry Reeves; 30-04-2005 at 11:16 AM.

quickies

Default Bodle

Dear Mark,

Bodle was one of the founder members of the BSAP and ended up
    as the Regiments Commissioner.

You can find details in the History of the BSAP Vol 1 by Peter
    Gibbs.

Bodle's grave is in the south of England - somebody in the BSAP
    History Group will have a photograph.

Kind regards

Geoff

charles r bodle

Post Brig. Gen. William Bodle

I have just joined this site so I do not know if you have already obtained this information , but Brig. Gen. W. Bodle is buried in Andrews Church in Alfriston. You cannot miss the grave as it is a large stone cross at the right of the entranceway into the church, at the front of the cemetery.. Charles Bodle

neil1821

Just come across this thread, better late than never!
    As has already been mentioned, William Bodle had the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medals for Basultoland and the British South Africa Company Medal with 3 clasps, ie Mashonaland 1890 - (the medal) and clasps for Matabeleland 1893, Rhodesia 1896, and Mashonaland 1897.

1880-81 he was a Sergeant-Major in the Cape Mounted Rifles
    1890 he was in the BSAP
    1893 a Lieut in the Salisbury Horse
    Took part in the Jameson Raid (Chief Inspector of Police M.M.P.)
    1896 Major in M.R.F

Neil

Mike Hall

Quote Originally Posted by charles r bodle View Post
    I have just joined this site so I do not know if you have already obtained this information , but Brig. Gen. W. Bodle is buried in Andrews Church in Alfriston. You cannot miss the grave as it is a large stone cross at the right of the entranceway into the church, at the front of the cemetery.. Charles Bodle
    To Charles Bodle (56460) Re Brig. Gen. Bodle. I am working on the house in Greenford, Middlesex in whuich he lived in the 1920's . 'Rohais' . renamed 'Bulawayo' I wonder if you have any pictures or information.

Mike Hall

Mike Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
    To Charles Bodle (56460) Re Brig. Gen. Bodle. I am working on the house in Greenford, Middlesex in whuich he lived in the 1920's . 'Rohais' . renamed 'Bulawayo' I wonder if you have any pictures or information.

Mike Hall
    Re Brig. Gen. Bodle. I am working on the history of his house in Greenford, Middlesex originally named 'Rohais' and renamed by the General as 'Bulawayo'. I wonder if you have any pictures or information

charles r bodle

Default Brig. Gen. William Bodle

Hi Mike,
    I'm not sure what you are looking for. I do have a couple of photos of his tombstone, I am sure that you appear to have all of the written history of Gen. Bodle.
    If you would like me to email the photos please let me know.
    Regards
    Charles Bodle

Frank Kilduff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
    Re Brig. Gen. Bodle. I am working on the history of his house in Greenford, Middlesex originally named 'Rohais' and renamed by the General as 'Bulawayo'. I wonder if you have any pictures or information
    As Chairman of North Greenford Residents' Association I am researching the history of Brabsden Green where Rohais/Bulawayo was situated and would appreciate any information and photos you have relating to the house and its Chinese garden. Local residents have may be able to provide me with some information which I would be happy to share.

Regards

Frank Kilduff

Jan1954

Hello Frank - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Mike Hall is no longer a member of the forum. However, there may be other forum members who may be able to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast