blue wren

Smile Fielding brothers - teacher training

Hi all
    I have accessed the 1911 census to see where my grandfather (Rowland Ernest Fielding) and one of his brothers (Hubert Henry Fielding) aged 18 and 20 years respectively and have found them living at home and note them both as Assistant teachers (Elementary school). They were living at 897 Ashton Road North Openshaw Manchester.

If they did their teacher training in this area would it be at Manchester University or some other training academy ? I suppose I am asking if it was a university qualification at that time. If so would the university still have a record of their admission.

Cheers
    Sabina
    Sabina

Reputation beyond repute

This Research Guide contains a lot of information on teacher training

blue wren

Many thanks Peter for the very interesting link. Maybe one of the moderators might consider making it a 'sticky'.
    Cheers
    Sabina

caroline99

Great information. I have a couple of pupil teachers in the family so this is very useful for finding out more about their lives.

A fountain of knowledge

If you can access the Manchester Education Committee minutes, they will probably record their career landmarks in some detail. My local ones list everything from interviews, appointments, promotions, and resignations/retirement down to days off for illness, bereavement, professional exams, etc. But you're unlikely to find the minutes online and will have to visit Manchester archives. Be prepared to spend some time searching, depending on how well they're indexed.

caroline99

Unfortunately in Australia so not likely to be able to access in the near future but good to keep in mind for the next trip back to the UK. My grandparents (and probably they siblings and other relatives) were both teachers in Northern England