HI

I am looking for and information about the following family:

John Richards b 1824 m 1873 Amy Phillips b 1847
    Thomas Richards b Dec Q 1873 Llanrian
    John Herbert Richards b Jun Q 1875 Llanrian
    George Hargrave Richards b Mar Q 1877 Llanrian
    Stephen Thomas Victor Richards b Dec Q 1878 Llanrian
    Egbert Ira Richards b Mar Q Llanrian

I believe this family fits into my direct line and would like to explore further.

LynneOz

Super Moderator

Have you access to census returns?

Orielbenfro

Default Richards of Llanrhian

Quote Originally Posted by LynneOz View Post
    HI
    John Richards b 1824 m 1873 Amy Phillips b 1847
    Lynne
    Given the age difference could this be a 2nd mrge?

I am aware of only 2 John Richard(s) baptized at Llanrhian 1821 and 1830. John of 1821 appears to be a publican in the hamlet of Square & Compass, and probably the son of Henry & Maria Richard baptized 05 Aug 1821 at Llanrhian. The other is the son of John & Sarah Richard baptized at Llanrhian 21 Nov 1830.

Henry Richard a Master of Gloucester late of this parish mrd Maria Richard at Llanrhian 29 July 1816.
    John Richard mrd Sarah Martell at Llanreithan 03 Aug 1830. This Church has now been converted to a private home, the conversion appeared on a Channel 5 T.V. programe. The churchyard surrounding the now private house remains active and will do for the foreseeable future.

There is a John Richards listed 1841 census for Llanrhian aged 17yrs the son of Thomas & Ann Richards born in county. I wonder if this is non-conformist?

The is a John Richard baptized at Letterston 1825, however he appears to be a Grocer in Glamorgan.

Have you been able to establish anything further of the place of birth/baptism of John of 1824?

Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

LynneOz

Thanks for the additional suggestions. This family appears to be the second family of John Richards, s/o Thomas and Ann Louisa Richards of Trevine, Llanrian. John was the uncle of my great grandfather. John first married Ann Bateman, d/o David Bateman and Mary Williams of Mathry. They lived at Abercastle. John then appears to have married again. His wife is Amy Phillips and from what I can gather Amy's parents were James Phillips and Amy Peters. Somewhere in there is a connection to the Thomas family who were the family of Ann Louisa (Thomas) Richards.

I discovered this new family when I had a recent short term sub to Ancestry.com where they are recorded on a tree submitted by Alan Owen. I tried emailing without success. I found the family quite easily in the 1881 census and cannot find anyone matching in the 1911 census. Doing a global search I found entries about "Captain Jack" (John Herbert) Richards from Alan and several replies including one from Orielbenfro. I was posting the information again in the hope that someone had found further information. From the info on the web I conclude the children, who were orphaned by 1889, were scattered. Some went overseas (USA? or Oz?), Ira (the youngest) appears to have been in the workhouse in Haverfordwest and then may have gone to USA. I was hoping for some confirmation (or not) to try to track what had happened to the whole family.

I have been having a blitz on my Dyfed family since my 1911 sub runs out in about 10 days.

Hoping someone knows something else about them ... thanks for the help so far.

Cheers

LynneOz

John Richard's second family consisted of:
    John Herbert Richards 1875-1952 who was labourer living in Cross Square St David's until his death.
    Thomas 1871-? disappears from any record after 1881.
    George Hargrave Richards who in 1911 is a rabbit dealer in Wiston, Pembrokeshire
    Steven Thomas V Richards 1878-? again disappears after 1881
    Egbert Ira Richards 1881-1936 who is in the workhouse in 1891, living in Spittal in 1902, emigrates to New York in 1911 from Liverpool but returns in 1913 on the SS Empress of Britain from Quebec Canada. He leave UK in Mar 18 (no idea how he avoided conscription) and then marries Margaret in Sydney in 1920.

LynneOz

Default John Herbert Richards and family Mathry PEM

Hello Alan
    Thank you for replying to my very old post. Over the years I had pretty much put together the information you have posted. My Richards family connects through John Richards brother Thomas and the two Bateman sisters they married. I am currently updating my information in readiness to write up what I have in a history.

How are you connected to the Richards?

Cheers

John Richards' daughter Eliza was my great, great grandmother. Her mother Anne Bateman unfortunately died young as you know.

John's father Thomas' parents were listed as William and Dorothy on a baptism record from 1788 and that's as far as I can go back.

Alan

LynneOz

Default John Herbert Richards and family Mathry PEM

Hello Alan
    I think you have been in touch with a ggson of Thomas William (Richards) Bateman who ran away to sea and eventually joined the London Fire Brigade.

I am interested in the birth certificate for John and Thomas Richard's father Thomas. I thought his parents were John Richards and Mary Williams (sister of Thomas Williams, the adopted father of Mary Williams Bateman). Would be interested to discuss.

Cheers

Default Thos Richards

Hopefully the image of the 1788 Baptism Record has uploaded. Top entry is Thos son of Thos and Dorothy Richards.

There is a William Richards half way down the page who is a likely relative.

I thought that Thomas William Richards b. 1845 (changes his name to Bateman on 1871 census) was the son of Thomas Richard b1821 and Mary Bateman b 1826.

Thos and Mary married in Feb 1845 (BMD 26 709 Mar 1845). Mary Bateman is the daughter of David Bateman b1800 and Mary Williams b 1804.

David Bateman b 1800 is the father of Jane Bateman b1831 who was the first wife of John Richards b 1824 who is the John Richards at the start of the thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast