Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A Thomas Richards, bachelor of Mathry parish, farmer married an Ann Louisa Thomas, spinster of Llanrian on 7 March 1820

1841 Census ref. HO107 1444 17 35 12
    Thomas Richards 50, Farmer, Ann Richards 47, John Richards 17, George 15, M(?) A Richards 12, Dorothy Richards 9, Jane Richards 7 + 3 servants
    Address Torbant, Llanrian, all born Pembs.

1841 Census ref. HO107 1444 23 32 5
    Thomas Richards, 20, Farmer and Anne Howells 20, F.S
    Address Trewalter loyd (transcribed as Trewalterlo). This is the address (Trewalter lwyd) of a Thomas Richards on his marriage certificate to Mary Bateman- father Thomas Richards, Farmer.

1861 Census ref. RG09 4167 77 2
    As transcribed ( the original, however, looks like Richards comparing the first character of name with others on page) -
    Thomas Prichards, Head, Marr, 73, Farmer of 5 acres, born Llangan? (original looks like Llanryan)
    Ann L Prichards, Wife, Marr, 62, born Llanreithan
    Jane Prichards, Dau, unmarr, 26, born Pembrokeshire
    Dorothy Evans**, Dau, Marr, 28 Sailor's wife, born Llanrian

** a Dorothy Phoebe Richards married a John Evans, sailor, 29 Jan 1856 - father Thomas Richards, farmer.

However, unable to find a single baptism for any children born to Thomas and Ann Richards 1820-1836.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Re. previous post, the 1841 surname is Thomas Richard (no "s"), age 50

Also address is Torbant, Llanryan - not bLlanrian (as transcribed)

Yes there are a couple of transcription errors but that is the same Richard(s)family.

Dorothy is living with sister and mother, Ann Louisa Thomas in LLanrhian in 1871 and has moved to Swansea in 1881. Her mother dies in 1878.

John Richard's elder brother Thomas and his wife Mary Bateman are living in Mathry in 1851 but after that I cannot find either of them.

The parish registers for Llanr(h)ian are on line at FMP. Also the nonconformist registers for Trevine (Calvinist Methodist). What doesn't appear to be on line are the registers for Croesgoch (baptist). Wondered if the children were baptised there?

I found this marriage in the "Digywiwr (a Welsh language magazine) published May 1848 -
    "18th March, Reheboth, Dyfed, by the Rev D Bateman, Rhosycaerau, Mr George Richards, Torbant and Miss Mary Evans, Glandwr, sister of the Rev. S. Evans, Reheboth"

But the absence of baptismal info. is so frustrating.

John Richards married Jane Bateman in the Mathry Parish Church 'according to rites and passage of the established church' so I don't believe they were Baptists.

The Bateman family were part of the Rhosycaerau Independent, Saint Nicholas congregation which is 8 miles or so from Mathry. Later the Bateman family were a major part of the Rehoboth Chapel, Mathry congregation.

George Richards was the 3rd son born circa 1826 and is still in Mathry in 1851 with his new wife.

LynneOz

Hi Alan
    Sorry, I must have confused you.

Story goes that Thomas William Richards was born to Mary Bateman before her marriage to Thomas Richards s/o Thomas R and Mary B. TW never lived with his parents but resided with his paternal grandparents, Thomas R and Anne Louisa Thomas. At about 11 (ie abt 1856), he ran away from Torbant and went to sea, travelling the world and learning English. He has a rather muddled mariner history and his papers are held by his gggrandson in Derby. TW was so upset by his treatment by the Richards family that he changed his name to Bateman and his subsequent children and their families have been known as Bateman ever since.

My ggrandfather was James Morgan Richards, 4th son of Thomas R and Mary B. He was with his parents and his two older brothers, John and David, at Trewalter in 1851 but in 1861, he and David were with David and Mary Bateman at Rhoslanog fach. John appears to have been at Trevine with the Richards family and his youngest brother, Stephen Thomas.

The will of Thomas Williams (dated 15 Apr 1829), adopted father of Mary Williams Bateman shows he left 5 acres of land called Grapley to his "beloved" nephew, Thomas Bateman of Torbant. The only marriage of Thomas Williams' possible sister that I could find was John Richards and Mary Williams:
    Parish Records for St Davids, PEM
    1783 Marriages
    John Richards, Lanrheyan, and Mary William, St Davids, married by Banns this 26th day of May by D Pritchett, Minister
    John and Mary William were both illiterate and their witnesses were Peter and Lettice Perkin
    This couple appear to have had a daughter Martha bpt 13 Feb 1786 in Llanrian; a son Thomas bpt 9 Mar 1788 in Llanrian; and a son John bpt 8 Jun 1792 in Llanrian. John Williams may have been the son of David Williams and Mary Rhead who were married 12 Nov 1761 in Llanrian.

As you can see, Thomas's bpt is very close to the Thomas you have bpt on 13 April 1788. Obviously, because I was following the information in the will, I chose the son of John R and Mary W rather than the son of William and Dorothy.

Jane Bateman, the daughter of David and Mary Bateman and sister of Mary who married Thomas Richards, never married and died single on 7 March 1942. If you look carefully at the marriage certificate of John Richards, you will see that he married Anne Bateman, Mary's younger sister. I admit you might mistake a badly written Anne for Jane ... but it really is Anne (I have a copy of the certificate).

I purchased copies of every death of a Mary Richards in Haverfordwest between 1851 and 1861 and none of them are Thomas Richards jr's wife. However, in face to face discussion with Tony we presumed that since Stephen Thomas was born in 1853 and then Thomas William R/B ran away about 1856, it is possible that Mary died about 1856. Thomas R jr then appears to have gone to sea (Tony has mariner's papers which seem to indicate this) and I believe he is the Thomas R who died of TB on 2 May 1867.

David and James were with the Batemans at Rhoslanog; David went to sea and James was a carpenter/cabinet maker. I believe James may have married and then left his wife and moved to Nottingham to work on a large housing development there. He then moved to Prestwich to work on the Mental Hospital there and he met a German girl. He had 10 children with her but never married her (hence my belief that he may have already been married). David plied the seas and may have married in London. Stephen Thomas followed his older half brother, Thomas William R/B, as a sailor and then into the London Fire Brigade. I have never been able to track down what happened to John Richards, the second son. It seems the boys maintained contact with each other after their exodus from Wales.

David Bateman and Mary were dissenters and most of their children were baptised at Rhosycaerau. David and W Davies donated land and funds to build Rehoboth Chapel in Mathry and there are several Bateman burials there. The Rev D Bateman was not this David Bateman but was related to the family.

I have never found records particularly attached to Stephen and Phebe Thomas, Anne Louisa's parents. However, Anne and her sister, Mary, were administrators for the estate of their brother Stephen Thomas of Wiston who died in 1832. Mary appears to have been married to Henry Thomas of Walton and appear in the 1841 and 1851 census in Wiston. Stephen may have married Margaret Rees on 24 Oct 1826 in Wiston.

That's my lot for today. Would be interested in any further thoughts you may have.\

Cheers

Thanks. A lot of information there. I had indeed misread the Bateman/Richards ' marriage certificate when I uploaded it and it was of course Anne not Jane who married. In my mind I was confusing her with her daughter Jane.

I will go through my tree and see if there is anything I can add to that.

Alan

The will of Thomas Williams (dated 15 Apr 1829), adopted father of Mary Williams Bateman shows he left 5 acres of land called Grapley to his "beloved" nephew, Thomas Bateman of Torbant. The only marriage of Thomas Williams' possible sister that I could find was John Richards and Mary Williams:
    Parish Records for St Davids, PEM
    1783 Marriages
    John Richards, Lanrheyan, and Mary William, St Davids, married by Banns this 26th day of May by D Pritchett, Minister
    John and Mary William were both illiterate and their witnesses were Peter and Lettice Perkin
    This couple appear to have had a daughter Martha bpt 13 Feb 1786 in Llanrian; a son Thomas bpt 9 Mar 1788 in Llanrian; and a son John bpt 8 Jun 1792 in Llanrian. John Williams may have been the son of David Williams and Mary Rhead who were married 12 Nov 1761 in Llanrian.

As you can see, Thomas's bpt is very close to the Thomas you have bpt on 13 April 1788. Obviously, because I was following the information in the will, I chose the son of John R and Mary W rather than the son of William and Dorothy.

This really confuses me.

Thomas Richards 1788-1869, father of Thomas, John, George etc in Llanrhrian is potentially baptised on 13 Apr 1788 as per the page with his father William. I am struggling to match the Williams' will to Thomas Richards 1788-186. Thomas William's will leaves the land to a Bateman and not to Richards? Thomas Richards married Ann Louis Thomas and it was his son John who married a Bateman.

Also when you wrote :'John Williams may have been the son of David Williams and Mary Rhead who were married 12 Nov 1761 in Llanrian.' Surely his wife's maiden name was Williams and he was a Richards? I am very confused.

Alan

OK I think I have it clearer, Mary Bateman (nee Williams) marries David Bateman. In David Bateman's own will of 1869 it states that "Will of David Bateman of Rhoslannog Fach This is my last will and testament of me David Bateman of Rhoslanog Fach in the Parish of Mathry in the County of Pembroke, Farmer. I gave and bequeath all of my real and personal estate, whatsoever and wheresoever unto my wife Mary Bateman during her life and after her death as following; the part of the Farm called Rhoslanog Fach which my wife had by her father, Thomas Williams, is given to my son Thomas Bateman"

But if Thomas Williams left a small part of the farm to another nephew Thomas Bateman then that child cannot be the child of John Richards and Mary Williams as any child would have had the Richards surname?

I think we are looking for another sister of Thomas Williams who married a Bateman.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast