Aussie Shep

Default 1841 Census - Belcome Place, Bradford

Happy Easter BG Forum, can someone have a look at the England 1841 Census H0107 piece 1166 folio 1/65 page 32
    James Morris aged 37years occupation is Spinner, James is married to Leah aged 30yrs I can't read what is written for her occupation? can someone help?
    I am hoping this is my James Norris (transcribed incorrectly on fmp) married to Leah Norris nee Fielding his second marriage) and these are hopefully his children from his previous marriage. These children are not listed on the 1851 Census so I am going to try and find their marriages or deaths. I have been unsuccessful in finding a marriage for James to his first wife.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Looks like 'dressmaker' to me Aussie Shep. Took ages to remember where in the UK Bradford was. Thought it was Yorkshire then the 'census' came up with Wiltshire.

These children aged 17..16..14 & ..?. would make Leah a VERY young Mum. James would beat least 20 at the first childs birth.

Have you tried IGI for children of James & his first wife?
    Last edited by Waitabit; 03-04-2010 at 5:10 AM. Reason: Additions
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Aussie Shep

I tried to write Bradford on avon on the first line but I must of had to many words.
    so you think dressmaker, i can see the maker just cant make out the first few letters.

Drop down the list 7 lines, another one is listed (dressmaker) compare the two..may help. I do think there is a 'fs' at theend of the word. Old style of 'ss'. a 'D' at the start &re is hopefully correct.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Aussie Shep

No I cant remember if I have looked on IGI for James and his first wife. I sorta got side tracked as you do :-)
    I know they are not leah's children. on the marriage certificate to Leah he states that he is a widower.
    I found Jane Norris she married a Frederick James I have followed them through the census returns.
    Maria was residing with them for two of the census returns. Just looking for Mary Ann now.
    Am also trying to find their parish births but no such luck yet. do you think I should post for some help with locating their births?

YEP! remember names...dates.. whatever will help.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just some remarks - Bradford in 1841 was not Bradford on Avon. The Post office didn't make the change until about 20 years later. So, given that the census is a contemporary document, it wouldn't pick up the modern fuller name. (The locals don't bother with the extra anyway!) The church records do not appear on the IGI nor is there a transcript completed other than an index in use at the History Centre. The area was very non-conformist, and there are MANY missing from C of E baptisms as a result. Its current size and importance gives no idea of how populated it was at the time - ie 1800s. pw

Janie Wooder

Default Hart of Bradford-on-Avon

Bradford-on-Avon is a gem of a place with a fascinating history, well worth the trouble of delving into.
    Regarding the change of name in the 19th century:
    In 1856, I understand, Bradford was re-named on the recommendation of an historian, Canon Jones, vicar of the Holy Trinity Church there. He recommended Bradford-on-Avon as a modern equivalent of its ca 11th century name Bradanford be Afne.
    That aside, is anyone related to the Harts of Bradford-on-Avon?