Thread: laidlaw

margaret bird

Default laidlaw

Help! Have marriage cert for John Blaikie, whitesmith -father george, saddler and Jane Laidlaw,father Robert, farmer. Both are of full age and at same address -Gerard Street Liverpool. Marriage took place 5th August 1850 at St. Nicholas Liverpool. Cannog find any of them on census. have also tried address search for 1851+61 on Findmy past. Have no idea when or where Jane was born. Could anyone tell me roughly where gerard st would have been or does anyone have access to trade directories for that period and be willing to do a look up for me. My main field of interest is the Laidlaw family and although my direct line was in Liverpool at that time I have not come across a Jane with father Robert.
    Thanks . Margaret

A fountain of knowledge

Hiya Margaret....if you have the marriage cert ,what age does it give for Jane Laidlaw birth.......allan

A fountain of knowledge

so there is only one Jane Laidlaw born 1820-1835 with Robert as father on familysearch.org BUT...Jane Babington Laidlaw b 28th March 1831 All Saints NewcastleUpon Tyne ??.....is Babington on marriage cert ?....
    father Robert mother Mary Ann .....presumably Mary Ann Babington....
    only one John Blaikie as well for same years with George as dad
    John BLAKEY BABTISED 2NDSep 1830 Conisborough,Yorkshire
    father George mother Elizabeth
    allan

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hello Margaret

Gerard Street is in the city centre, between St Anne Street to the east and Scotland Road / Byrom Street to the west. It was behind (north of) the Museums and the Walker Art Gallery on William Brown Street and behind (east of) the old Byrom Street college (now the site of Liverpol John Moores University main building.

Barbara

margaret bird

Hi Allan. Unfortunately both are given as "Of full age" which isn't very helpful. There is no babington either. I do already have Jane Babington Laidlaw on my data base.It's a real mystery to me.There were a few laidlaw families in Liverpool at that time who hailed from Ireland and some from Scotland(including my own family). Thanks for looking for me.regards. Margaret

margaret bird

Thanks Barbara. Don't know Liverpool well but gives me a rough idea. Last time I visited city centre was c1964 on a visit from Library school!- when we went to Liverpool Library although I have visited the Anglican Cathedral and Albert Dock since then.Regards. Margaret