Thread: Where are they?

gasser

Default Where are they?

I have "lost" my 3 x gr.grandparents and some of their family.
    Richard Lomas (1796 Peak Forest, Derbyshire) married Ann Mellor (1800 Chapel en le Frith). They married 22 Jun 1824, at Chapel en le Frith. They had 8 found children: Ellen 1825, Richard 1827, Isaac 1829, James 1831, Ann 1834, John 1835, Henry 1839 and Sophia 1840. All the children's baptisms have been found registered at Chapel en le Frith, although apart from Ellen, they were not born there. The last two were born at Fairfield nr Manchester and Stockport Junction respectively.
    Richard's (father) occupation was labourer and in 1839 when Henry was baptised, his occupation was "lock tenter" implying he was working on the canals.
    In 1841 cenus I found the family (no James with them) living at Clayton, part of the district of Droylsden.
    In 1851 census the family were living at Canal Side, district of Manchester, part of St Jude Ecclesiastical district. Children with them are Richard , Henry and Sophia. I found sons Isaac and John living with their Aunt and Uncle at Hague Bar nr New Mills, Derbyshire.
    I can follow Isaac and John' whereabouts after this time, also son Richard from 1861. The others including parents Richard and Ann, are proving more difficult.
    If anyone can shed any light on them, I would be very grateful.
    thanks for your time.

janbooth

Sophia LOMAS looks to be working as a Domestic Servant in the 1861 census of Manchester (RG9/2955, folio 13, page 22) living at 3 Oldham Road in the household of a Thomas Wm BROWN. There are 2 marriages on the GRO Index between 1861 & 1871 at Manchester for a Sophia LOMAS and the most likely one would appear to be that in 1870 to a Charles HARRIS although the information on the 1871 census does not correspond exactly with Sophia's previous info.

I cannot find either Richard or Ann in the 1861 census onwards, but there are a lot of death registrations in Manchester between 1851 & 1861 which could be the correct ones for your Richard & Ann.

There is a Henry LOMAS born c1838 in the 1861 census of Hulme Manchester who is shown as a Butcher, married to a Mary with children Jane aged 4, Richard aged 2 and Ann aged 8 months living at 21 Southam Street. His place of birth is shown as Manchester but he could be worth further investigation.

Janet

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi janbooth you beat me to it
    found Sophia as well also found them on the 1841 Census transcribed as Tomas for their name
    Sandy

Starting to feel at home

Hi, can't help with your folks, just wanted to point out that 'Tenter' is one occupation found regularly in the cotton mills, many of which were found in and around Derbyshire, Manchester and Stockport, these include 'frame tenter' back 'tenter' and so on just a thought
    regards
    Linda

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by Barmouth View Post
    Hi, can't help with your folks, just wanted to point out that 'Tenter' is one occupation found regularly in the cotton mills, many of which were found in and around Derbyshire, Manchester and Stockport, these include 'frame tenter' back 'tenter' and so on just a thought
    regards
    Linda
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it........although the '41 census definitely says 'Lock Keeper' and '51 census says 'Lock Tenter'

gasser

Thanks for the info on Sophia, Jan.
    Yes, I agree there are many death registrations in Manchester between those years '51-'61, but Manchester does cover a large area. I have the marriage certificate for their son John dated June,1857 and his father Richard's occupation is stated as 'Labourer'. I have found a death registered in M/cr. for a Richard in Dec' qtr, 1857. I shall have to 'bite the bullet' and send for this certificate. If it is the right one, hopefully, I should be able to go another step forward!

thanks again