Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Fernihough

Chas Eddie

Default Eric Fernihough

I am seeking the location of the grave of the racing motorcyclist Eric Fernihough who was born in Wallasey on the 17th February 1905 and died on the 23rd April 1938. Can anyone help.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the Fernihough One-name Study?

https://www.one-name.org/profiles/fernyhough.html

The page also has several links to follow up.

Knowledgeable and helpful

If all else fails, try contacting the Vintage Motorcycle Club. One of their guys was in Hungary when the new plaque was put up in memory of Fernihough. You would expext the funeral to have been reported in the motorcycling press at the time - it's possible they have issues from that era in their collection.

Geoffers

Both the above, and also try national newspapers, e.g. archive.timesonline.co.uk - free to search pay to view full article. Try searching just on the surname rather than his full name.

Keewatin

Hi
    Working on the assumption that the body would have been brought back to England, and that there would be next of kin to make arrangements,I thought I would dig around in the censuses and BMDs for the family of Edward Cudgington Fernihough and work up from the census era to 1938 to find possible next of kin.

I saw on the one name guild site that they had the mmn as Allonby. Only Fernihough/Allonby on Free BMD is 1887 at Kendal district 1887 John Charles Fernihough and Jane Allonby
    Found them on 1891 census at Silverdale, Lancs ref RG12 346 127 3 indexed as FERNCHOUGH on ancestry, with children Mabel M and John C

Found Jane and children on the 1901 census at 12 West Bank Rd living with her B in L Joseph F Fernihough ref RG 13 3397 120 12 and children listed as his neices and nephews

Mabel M 12
    John C 10
    Joseph F 9
    Gertrude 8
    Winifred 3
    Gordon L 2
    Florence e 1

Winifred's, Florence's and Gordon's births are on Cheshire Bmd Tranmere in the Birkenhead district and there is also an Edward Stanley Fernihough birth in 1901 , also in Tranmere.

Indexed as Fernibough on ancestry

Then I got stuck on the 1911 census. I found Winnie and Florence at a girls orphanage and/or school- St Margarets, in Toxteth Park. Liverpool.

Can't see Eric at all.

I googled for Gordon and found Gordon Leslie Fernihough on the CWGC site son of John and Jennie Fernihough. His attestation papers on the Canada National Library and Achives site. NOK is brother John. Both have addresses as Waldo'rf Saskatchewan . You can search for the papers at this URL:
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...2-100.01-e.php

After a fairly unfruitful search in the UK 1911 census I idly googled another son "Joseph Francis Fernihough" and got one site- a fellow who is the grandson of Joseph Fernihough whose brother was Eric Fernihough the motorcyclist
    There is contact information on the site

Hope this helps
    K
    Ps Theres an EC Fernihough born 1905 travelling to South Africa in 1923 on the outgoing passsenger lists on FMP. May or may not be relevant to finding his family.

Chas Eddie

Thank you very much for that information. It is very helpful.

Keewatin

I came across an article about Brooklands which mentioned that Eric Fernihough had garage business there and another snippet about Francis Beart and Robin Jackson, who also worked there ,attending his funeral

I wonder if his funeral/ memorial service could have been held in that area? Might be worth contacting funeral homes in Weybridge to see if they have any records. Also Weybridge library might have newspaper accounts, and Brooklands Museum may have info.

I see there's a road in Weybridge called Fernihough Close. Maybe it's named after him?

You've got me going on motor cycling sites now. My son, who is motor cycle mad, is quite impressed that his Mum now has semi intelligent remarks about motor bikes to discuss with him rather than just dire warnings of his imminent demise.
    K

Debmct45

hi! Edward Stanley was my grandfather. All the info on the message thread is relevant because my mom and uncle were named after siblings. My mom is Winnifred Florence and my late uncle was Gordon. My mom recalls that there was an Eric but I can't figure out that middle name of Crudginton(?). E that travelled to S. Africa was wealthy and left all her money to the humane society , family legend has it. Winnifred was in Kentucky USA.

Default Eric's grave

Just in case you are still searching, his grave is in Boscombe Cemetery, and he was buried on 4th May 1938 in a 6ft 4 inch metal coffin. There was a full report in The Western Gazette of 6th May.

Debmct45

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stattointhailan View Post
    Just in case you are still searching, his grave is in Boscombe Cemetery, and he was buried on 4th May 1938 in a 6ft 4 inch metal coffin. There was a full report in The Western Gazette of 6th May.
    Thanks for this information. I haven't read this in awhile But all this information definitely pertains to my grandfather's family. I am Edward Stanley Fernihough's granddaugher. My mom Winnifred is still living

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast