Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Essex girl

Default Marriage Lookup pls- MARTIN/POLLINGTON 1820

Good Evening,
    I am wondering if SKS with access to A* would mind looking up the following marriage and advise if there are any father/witness details given. Many many thanks, Jude

5/11/1820 Thomas William MARTIN to Caroline POLLINGTON
    St Matthew Bethnal Green LONDON

Mutley

Boa Noite,

Both were of the parish, bachelor and spinster. Father's names not included then.
    Thomas and Caroline both made their mark but the witnesses Sam Ames and ??? Newman signed. ( ??? could be Hanner, Harriot, Elanor, though it really looks like
    Han l r)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Bachelor and spinster, both of the parish, after banns, both made their mark.

Witnesses - Samuel Ames, Haner Newman, both signed
    (Samuel Ames was the parish clerk of St Matthew Bethnal Green)

No fathers, I'm afraid.

(Ooooh Mutley, you're so quick!)

bibliojunkie

Bride and Groom made their mark. The witnesses, who both signed, were Samuel Ames and ?Haner Newman. The register is the standard format of the time with no space for details of professions or fathers.

Ali

Ooh and I'm so slow!

PS Nice bit of local knowledge re the parish clerk Kerrywood. Note to self: look at names of witnesses on other entries.
    Last edited by bibliojunkie; 26-03-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added PS

Mutley

Ah! but you both confirmed the Haner that I could not read and Kerrywood's information on Sam will save hours of trawling for a family connection.

Essex girl

Many thanks everyone-was hoping there might be a 'relative' witnessing especially with a surname like MARTIN to look for

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Haner NEWMAN might be a relative?

A Hannah NEWMAN, spinster, married Thomas RICHARDS, bachelor, on 29 March 1823 at St Matthew Bethnal Green, after banns.

One of the witnesses was Caroline MARTIN. The other was good old Samuel Ames.

On this occasion Hannah made her mark, as did Caroline. Thomas RICHARDS signed.

bibliojunkie

When I saw Haner/Hannah's signature I had a vision of the lass earnestly concentrating as she wrote her name. Perhaps she took so long that the vicar was and that put her off writing for life!

Ali

Essex girl

At the moment NEWMAN/RICHARDS are not known connections but many thanks i'll keep them on file. Have just found aThomas and Hannah RICHARDS living in Bethnal Green on 1841 census with children one of whom has the name Nicodemus! Why can't my ancestors have names like that instead of Thomas,Sarah,William etc it would make life alot easier

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Essex girl View Post
    At the moment NEWMAN/RICHARDS are not known connections but many thanks i'll keep them on file. Have just found aThomas and Hannah RICHARDS living in Bethnal Green on 1841 census with children one of whom has the name Nicodemus! Why can't my ancestors have names like that instead of Thomas,Sarah,William etc it would make life alot easier
    Ebenzer is my great great grandfather (his parents where Thomas Richards and Hannah Newman) and I was just trying to locate Samuel myself as I can't seem to go back any further for Ebenzers father Thomas Richards nor can I find anything for Nicodemus after the census, no death record so was thinking maybe one of the Richards/Newman clan adopted him but totally agree the names are abit out there that is for sure.
    regards Kerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast