Dorothy

Default Helena Lyons or Ellen Lions married 1831

She was married to Robert Mitchell at Holy Trinity Church in Newington. They had Robert ,b. 1832 andbaptised at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Bermondsey, Harriot and Ellen. The children were at the house of Jeremiah and Ellen Collins on the 1841 census in Rotherhithe. I;ve searched endlessly for Ellen Lions' parents and siblings as well as to find what happened to Harriot b. 1834 and Ellen b. 1836.I believe their mother died in childbirth . Any help would be appreciated.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Do you have any information about Robert (the Father) which may assist searchers? Place of birth, occupation? (was he a baker)
    Any hint of his whereabouts after 1841?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Could Robert have died and Ellen married Jeremiah COLLINS?

Ellen Mi(t)chel on the 1841 is clearly shown as 15, is this an error, I wonder?

Have you explored other Lions/Lyons marriages in the same church around the same period?

Mutley

If it is any help, the references for the census for Jeremiah and Ellen are:
    1841 - HO107/1067/27/5
    1851 - HO107/1583/45/11
    (Records care of TNA)

In the 1841 the children are recorded as Michell (without a t)
    In June 1854 in Hambledon there is a marriage of a Harriet Michell and also it is recorded as Harriet Mitchell to an Alfred Francis. Seeing as the transcriber must have had difficulty with her surname she could be your lass. Sadly I cannot find this pair in the 1861 census.

Dorothy

Robert sen. was a mariner whose second and young wife Honoria nee Flanigan was on the 1861 census of North Shields ...a seaman's wife b. Ireland and Robert then aged 29 was listed as a stepson at the same address 12 Low Light. He stayed in North Shields and as a widower/mariner married Mary Jane Ellis in 1868 .They had four children.

Dorothy

No, Robert sen. who was b. 1907 in London, Middlesex ( but probably his family originated in Ireland) hadn't died as I traced him later to North Shields. The IGI has Jeremiah Collins marrying Ellen Sullivan on April 13th, 1834 in Dunmanway, Donegal, Ireland. Young Robert's godparents were George Burns b. Donegal and Helena Long and I got those facts from the Catholic FHS secretary in Ealing. She said that many records had been lost in a fire at the church. Ellen was born in 1836 so it should have been 5 not 15.

Dorothy

Yes, the surname was spelled differently at times . I searched for likely marriages for Harriot( sic) and Ellen but none that I could definitely say were correct..Thanks for your help .