k0065126

Default Birmingham Union Workhouse

I have a death certificate for 1929 and the address of the deceased, (who may be my great grandmother Elizabeth Duggan), is given as 77 Dudley Road. My research leads me to believe that this is where the Birmingham City Hospital now stands and where the Union Workhouse was before most of it was demolished.

Can anyone confirm that 77 Dudley Road would have been the address used on certificates around this date for this workhouse? I seem to remember reading that a 'fictional' address was used for events which happened in workhouses towards the end of their lives as people did not like the stigma of having had to be an inmate.

I am also wondering if anyone has published a book on this workhouse as there do not seem to be any records of this institution in Warwickshire Record Office, according to their online catalogue.

Viv

Jan1954

Hello Viv,

Apparently, the all the buildings for the workhouse infirmary (which later became the hospital) came under the numbers 1 to 135 Dudley road.

For information about the Dudley Road Hospital, for that was what it was called by 1929, have a look at TNA's Hospital Records Database.

Also, according to workhouses.org.uk, there are some records held at the Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service

Reputation beyond repute

77 Dudley Road
    This is so. The workhouse web site gives 77 or 99 Dudley Road as the euphemism for the Birmingham Union Infirmary.

k0065126

Many thanks to both for replying with useful information, now all I have to do is prove that this Elizabeth Duggan is my great grandmother.

Viv